• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP 4x/8x fails on Radeon X850 XT

Before I get started here's my system info.:

1 gb of DDR400 RAM
    Abit IC7-G motherboard
    WinXP Pro (with a series of "hot fixes" and SP2)
    P4 3.2 GHz (Presscott or Press"hot") (800mhz fsb)

Hello, since it's my birthday, I was able to finally afford to purchase the ATI Radeon X850 XT (AGP) today. I downloaded and installed the newest software for my card after I installed the OEM software (which comes on CD-Rom with the card of course) and card. After a series of "required restarts" from installations ;-) I was able to test out my new card. I switched the AGP mode in my bios to 8x and my aperture size (which is irrelevant in this case but I'll mention it anyway) is set at 128MB.

So here's the problem: Within CATALYST (ATI's software for their video cards) I am able to switch the modes around. So I tried setting it to 8X as well as just 4X mode and restarted the computer as prompted..it doesn't show any errors and acts as if the switch didn't even occur. I tried setting OpenGL on and applying the settings but right after I apply the settings I go back in to the display settings and it's back on Direct3d.

I apologize for being brief and somewhat vague but please let me know if you need more information and whatnot about my system and the situation. I need to sleep now, it's been one hell of a ride today.

Re: AGP 4x/8x fails on Radeon X850 XT

Originally posted by bc-17
    I tried setting OpenGL on and applying the settings but right after I apply the settings I go back in to the display settings and it's back on Direct3d.
    First off, try turning off fast writes in your bios. Secondly why would you want to use OpenGL as opposed to Direct3D?

Comment

Re: AGP 4x/8x fails on Radeon X850 XT

I'm sorry, I don't really know my software real well and I won't pretend that I do. So with that said; I thought OpenGL was better than Direct3D? I guess not?

Anyways, I haven't tried to turn off "fast writes" yet as I just got home today from classes. I talked to a buddy of mine and he says his brother had the same issue before flashing the bios on his mobo, and then all went well. So I thank you for your help and I'll check back here if I'm still having any trouble.

Comment

Working...
      X