Is battery cycling still needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is battery cycling still needed

Just bought a N550JK which I am having fun with :)

Question - is it still a good idea to regularly cycle the battery from full power to system shutdown, or can I leave the laptop on mains power for extended periods with no degradation of battery life?

Re: Is battery cycling still needed

Originally posted by SAHER21 View Post
    Just bought a N550JK which I am having fun with :)

Question - is it still a good idea to regularly cycle the battery from full power to system shutdown, or can I leave the laptop on mains power for extended periods with no degradation of battery life?
    1 Don't charge more than 85%.
    2 cycle the battery from full power to system shutdown once a month
    3 Don't use laptop while charging
    Cat6 Cabling Services | Telephone Service Providers | Dial Tone Phone Services

Comment

Originally posted by Markwinstanley View Post
      Thanks but that gives me a problem. 85% charge gives me around 3 hours use, but I am using the laptop for 6-8 hours at work - how can I then NOT use it while charging? Why do you recommend not using it while charging - what impact does this have?

Comment

Using laptop while charging can decrease battery backup and life span. correct me if i am wrong.
        Cat6 Cabling Services | Telephone Service Providers | Dial Tone Phone Services

Comment

A web search using: maximum notebook battery life will provide useful links, such as
          Skip the technical jargon and concentrate on the sections that deal with optimal charging techniques.

Many battery sites provide useful information and battery faqs for each type of portable battery that they sell.
          The optimal usage and battery charging techniques vary with Nicad, NIMH, and Li-Ion batteries.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by Markwinstanley View Post
            No comment on whether or not that is right or wrong, but how many laptop users don't use it while "charging", meaning plugged into the charger while in use?

IMO, the answer is ~1% or less, with the caveat, that is if AC outlets are available. Can any laptops be operated with the battery removed?

Assuming that using a laptop while it charges ruins the battery long term, then that is what I see everyone do from the moment they start using it. At least some of these people must know this, but just ignore it. They know the performance when connected to AC is better than battery alone. The battery manufactures must love it, as well as anyone that sells these batteries.

The major PC processor manufacture's products have evolved to use less and less power, more effort is put into that than increasing performance. Those same technologies on desk top processors like Haswell idle at less that one watt power usage.

Meanwhile, battery or charging technology is stagnant or at a technological wall? Hard to believe this battery "issue" hasn't been addressed by a manufacture yet. Perhaps they don't want to.

Comment

Working...
            X