In Over My Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Over My Head

I recently made the huge mistake of buying a Cyberpower Computer with an Xtremegear 600W Power Supply. (2 mistakes actually)

I guess I read one too few threads before choosing the components for this build.

After 2 months, my monitor has begun to dim and my Aerocool 2000 Fan Control, Temp Sensor unit is considerably dimmer than 2 months ago.

I followed the advise of just about everybody and ordered a Corsair 750TX PSU.

I already knew I was going to find quite a wiring bundle on the new PSU, by reading and looking at the Newegg photos. What I didn't expect was what I found when I opened the wiring side of the Coolermaster HAF 912 case.

I guess this should not have been a big surprise to me as the build has a DVD Drive, Card Reader & the Aerocool unit taking up 4 bays in the front of the unit. Between the fan control wires, the temp sensors and the power cables, you wouldn't believe what it looks like.

I took a deep breath and said "I just need to follow the wires from the power supply and label them as I disconnect them. I quickly found out that this was going to be a task and a half.

The peripheral cables on the existing power supply were plugged into other peripheral cables, which then branched off to either a component or split to two two wire plugs, which I can't even see where they are going.

Even the Geforce GTX 460 GPU is confusing. The old power supply has two 6 hole plugs, but one of the plugs is a dummy, so there are only 5 wires per plug. The Corsair has the two 6 plug holes, with 6 wires in each.

I still didn't want to give up, so I said maybe I can just disconnect at the very first connection for each bundle coming out of the old PSU and just connect the new PSU to those points, forgetting about where all these other branch offs go to. I quickly noticed that each individual wire coming out of the Corsair was almost twice as thick as those coming out of the XtremeGear. To me, I think the only way to do this properly would be to go from the PSU to the component, not using all these thin wired connections and branch offs.

Even the AC cord to the Corsair is considerably heavier than the XtremeGear.

If I didn't already take a beating from Cyberpower, I might just take it somewhere and pay to have it installed.

Cyberpower refused to do anything but send me another XtremeGear PSU, even though they must be aware of the poor quality, especially if they read their own forums. They wouldn't even allow me to pay them the upgrade for the Corsair. Even if they sent me the same XtremeGear unit, which would make no sense, they wouldn't do that until I returned their $25.00 POS first.

My head is spinning over this and I am afraid that if I don't get this Corsair in there, my components will be degrading by the minute.

I understand that without seeing the unit, it is very difficult to make suggestions, but I really need some help on this one.

Thanks All!!!!

Re: In Over My Head

The attached diagram details the standardized psu cables for recent power supplies.
    Please list your hardware setup details including the brand/model numbers for your motherboard, cpu, cpu heatsink and fan, hard drives, optical drives, etc. How many case cooling fans are in your system.

Be very careful when unplugging sata data and power connectors, and the small 4-pin peripheral power connects, such as a floppy drive power cable.

I would skip using the Aerocool fan controller for now, and use the fan header connections on your motherboard for the time being. I'll check out the Aerocool website and see if they have a pdf user manual the fan controller.

Maybe you can post several pictures of the fan controller wires once you have disconnected the current power supply cables.

Right click on the wiring diagram and save it on your system and print it for reference. The user manual for your new psu might have similar information.

More questions? Ask away.

Don't forget to plug in the 4-pin ATX_12v or 8-pin EPS_12v cable to your motherboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Power&Cooling S61EPS1dimensions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	751267
    Last edited by profJim; 03-13-2011, 05:14 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I just downloaded the two GIF files that make up the user manual from: Be cool! Be Aerocool!

http://www.aerocool.us/images/periph...0-manual-1.gif
      http://www.aerocool.us/images/periph...0-manual-2.gif

I have a Zalman fan controller that has four temperature probes and controls four fans.
      If it's not neatly wired it looks like a mess of spaghetti mixed with a birds nest.
      Last edited by profJim; 03-13-2011, 05:34 AM.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Plenty of guides on YouTube aswell showing you how to install a psu,their all basically the same,the 6pin plugs for your gpu will be the same

YouTube - ATX power supply Test and replace
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's simple if you take it step by step.

First, become familiar with your new PSU and the connectors it has - there are a lot of connectors but only a few styles. If your PSU comes with no help. look at this site to see what each type of connector is and how many you have:

Enthusiast Series

Click the tab "FAQ's & Support" and you will see pictures of the various connectors.

Don't worry if you don't understand what each is at this point - you will just match up to the old when you trade them out.

Next, look up the make and model of your mobo and go online to download its manual. Look on the mobo installation instructions for that part of the instructions on connecting the power.

Since you will be working directly with the components inside your case, you need to be aware of and careful about electrostatic dishcarge. See this article on upgrading a graphics card for more information about working inside your computer - especially the drop down on electrostatic discharge.

How to Install Video Card Upgrades

Now shut down your computer, disconnect the power cord from the bakc, and open up you computer and get ready to change out the connectors - new for old. Change out the power supply connectors to the mobo first, using the mobo manual as a guide. Make sure you changeout all of the old connectors - which should include two for mobo power, CPU power, and one or more fans. Just disconnect the old and attach the same style of connector from the new.

After that it is relatively easy to change out the power going to other components:
          1. video card
          2. hard drive(s)
          3. optical drive
          4. case fans (if you have questions on these, try to find and download the manual for your case which may provide guidance)

Make sure you have disconnected all the power connectors from the old PSU.

Then just remove the old PSU from the case and insert the new. Usually this will be relatively easy to do, but sometimes other components might be in the way, in which case you migt need to unistall that component to provide access.

Fianlly store your cables away as best you can to improve air flow.

Voila! You are done.
          Last edited by rockyjohn; 03-18-2011, 01:26 AM. Reason: to clarify instructions
          There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
          X