Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOBO/CPU: "FRIED or not FRIED?" That is the question...Need a bit of help here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOBO/CPU: "FRIED or not FRIED?" That is the question...Need a bit of help here.

Ok, I got a customer that has a Dell Dimension E310. If you need the specs, let me know...I don't think it matters in this circumstance. Anyhow, I turned on the pc and the power button flashes orange! ORANGE?!?!?!?!

Ok, I blew the machine out and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS (did I say LOTS) of dirt and dust in there...yuck! NO CHANGE. Then I tried another PSU (known good) actually two PSUs and still ORANGE?!?!?! Well lastnight it turned on for me and then sometime in the middle of the night it shut off...you guest it! ORANGE flashing again. I've read a lot of info on this, but nothing is helping.

SO, I decided to take off the CPU cooler and to my amazement (ya, really amazed...not!) the thermal paste is dried up on the cooler and the CPU...like really dried... So whadaya think...FRIED or NOT FRIED??? Thanks for all your help!!!!!
    Gotta give him an answer about his pc before Friday...today is Thursday...lol...thanks!
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower
    Acer X223W 22" widescreen

nVidia nForce 7150-630i mobo
    Intel Quad Core Q6700 OC'd 3.13Ghz
    4096MB ddr-800
    200GB hdd 7200 sata
    160GB hdd 7200 sata II
    320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
    320GB ext. hdd Transcend
    MSI dvd rw / lightscribe / sata
    BFG GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 1.0

Geek Tweek, LLC

visit me on facebook:
    http://companies.to/geektweekllc/

Re: MOBO/CPU: "FRIED or not FRIED?" That is the question...Need a bit of help here.

Probably not fried. Probably shutting down due to thermal limit. Clean off the dried up paste and apply new stuff.

Comment

Re: MOBO/CPU: "FRIED or not FRIED?" That is the question...Need a bit of help here.

Yes, please try new paste and see if that helps.

Otherwise can you give the full model name, not sure if you did above or not, so I can grab the manual and see if I can find anything out for you.

Comment

I got it!!!! REALLY weird, but I was reading something on this flashing power button and to my amazement, the metal prongs inside the front USB ports were bent up and pressed against the metal in the casing...cause the WHOLE system to short out...WEIRD? so I unplugged the USBs and Wa-La! The Green light came on fine...thanks for all the help and responses and reads...lol...!

4096MB ddr-800
        200GB hdd 7200 sata
        160GB hdd 7200 sata II
        320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
        320GB ext. hdd Transcend

Geek Tweek, LLC

visit me on facebook:

Comment

Cool to hear! Glad nothing was fried and you found the problem!

Comment

Ya thanks! No need to replace the whole thing...lol!

4096MB ddr-800
            200GB hdd 7200 sata
            160GB hdd 7200 sata II
            320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
            320GB ext. hdd Transcend

Geek Tweek, LLC

visit me on facebook:

Comment

Nice! I didn't think you were going to have to anyway, I thought maybe memory, HDD, or GFX failure was causing the flashing button. That's why I asked for the exact model so I could see if the manual mentioned that or not.

Post back anytime if you need help with anything else.

Comment

Working...
              X