Fan multi-port problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan multi-port problem?

I bought a Sunbeam multi-fan port to use with my 120mm fans so they aren't running off the MB (except for my CPU fan). My rear case fan was originally plugged into this header on my P35-DS4 (Rev2.1) board.

I unplugged the fan and used a Rosewill 12" fan extension cable to run the rear case fan to the Sunbeam, and I also plugged my front case fan into it. I then plugged one of my PCP&C Silencer 610's IDE molex plugs to the power connector.

The problem came when I turned the computer on; a loud continuous whine came from the case. Also, when I pressed the On button on the front of the case the computer clicked on, but then went right back off and then turned on again. I made it to the desktop without any other issues. I could see my CPU fan was running and the front case fan, but the rear fan was not.

I turned the computer off, plugged the rear case fan back into the SYS_FAN1 header, left the molex IDE plugged into the multi-port along with the front case fan, and turned the computer back on. The computer booted immediately without making any noises and without doing that weird off/on thing, and the rear fan started running.

I'm stumped as to what happened. I'd like to have the rear case fan plugged into the multi-port as well as any other fans I might get so if anyone could give me some suggestions I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you.

Re: Fan multi-port problem?

Not a direct solution to your issue, but I tend to lean towards rheostat devices rather than a multi-plug device like you are using. They generally show a lot more quality in the build and also give you the option of reducing the power flow to your fans and reduce noise when you are not using any intense applications that create a lot of heat.

Just a thought.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Darth, thanks for the reply. After this little episode I've been seriously considering one of those. Like this ZALMAN MFC2 Muti Fan Controller at Newegg. It is hard to find a decent one. According to most reviews lot of them are complete garbage.

Note to self: Always check the BIOS settings.

This morning after I had some coffee (lol) I got down on the floor and studied the case and all the hook ups. It finally dawned on me while I was sitting there to check the BIOS. I turned the computer on and went into BIOS and disabled the system fan warning. Viola, no more long beep, but the fan still wasn't running so I tried another extension cable and now it works. Thankfully I ordered more than one.

Comment

That is pretty expensive for a simple rheostat device. For that kind of money I'd want a whole lot more than a temperature monitor and an alarm. Scythe makes some pretty decent multi-function devices that should suit your needs. Many have the rheostat for multiple fans plus easily accessible front USB/Firewire/eSATA ports to boot. While I haven't tested any of their fan controllers, I have tested some of their multi-function panels and they work well. I still use their combination 3.5" FDD that also doubles up as a media card reader.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X