• Show
Clear All

• new to PC building-any comments

so here are the results:

ordering from both sites.

items to transfer from current PC to Upgrade PC:

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT 256MB DDR3 PCIe16

Sabrent 6-Channel 5.1 3D Surround Sound PCI Card

Ultra / V-Series / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / 20/24-Pin / SATA Ready / Power Supply

[specs seems the same as one that comes with case] [which 1 would be better to use?]

this is a first time build, so nothing too extreme yet.
    don't want to mess things up [a little nervous].

notes: upgrade GPU and sound later, as i'm content with these at the moment.

uses: Sims2, Empire Earth, Age of Empires/Mythology & the like. web pages, graphics [paint shop pro 11, logo, animation.]

main thing:
    !! please check compatibility !!
    give a 1-10 [10=high] rating as to the functionality of what it's being used for.

any building tips would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Re: new to PC building-any comments

You should have no problems with compatibility with the items on your list. How many IEEE1394 devices do you use? You are spending $43 on a PCI card when your mainboard has one Firewire port on the back. If you're not using more than a single device at once, you won't need the add-on card. Your Firewire devices should also allow you to dasiy chain devices, again making the addition card unnecessary.

Oh, and save yourself another $6 by not getting the AS cleaner. Simply using rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) will both remove any residual materials from your heat transfer surface and also prepare it for application of the AS5. Just make sure to allow a minute for the alcohol to fully dry before applying the goop.

Finally, have you checked into Intel Core 2 Duo systems? They are performing better than the AMD counterparts right now and from my experience so far do a better job with multi-tasking. Just a thought.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

While I agree that C2D systems are outperforming AMD systems, the price difference is worth it to go AMD. You really only see the difference in benchmarks. I don't notice much difference between my current PC and any of the 3 C2D systems I had.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I've got regular access to or own three of each -- X2 and Core 2 -- trust me, there's a difference in performance in real-world applications. If you can afford it, Core 2 is the way to go. However, going AMD trims $50-$100 off your price right off the bat, and if you're not overclocking it takes off nearly $200 before Core 2 catches up. Even the upcoming price cuts won't change those figures much.

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, don't want to get into overclocking too much, and are basically a novice, AMD might be a better choice for you. But there is a very tangible benefit to going Core 2.

AS cleaner = citrus based cleaner + 99% pure isopropyl at ten times the price per volume. However, the dropper style containers allow you to much more effectively use the liquids you do have. It's a decent package, but you could probably save yourself a few bucks.

Most motherboards these days have high-def onboard audio that trump that sound card. I wouldn't waste time installing it. Sell it or something unless you actually end up with a motherboard that doesn't have onboard HD audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
          How many IEEE1394 devices do you use?
          oh i have 1 firewire-b and 2 firewire-a.

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
          Your Firewire devices should also allow you to dasiy chain devices, again making the addition card unnecessary.
          how do i do that?

Core 2 Duo
          i have looked at those. way too much for my first build! i don't want to mess up and lose all that money.

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
          Most motherboards these days have high-def onboard audio that trump that sound card.
          how can i tell if the sound on the motherboard is better than the sound card it self?

all it says is ADI AD1988B, i don't know what that is.
          Last edited by sehana; 07-14-2007, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X