Computer Cases....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Cases....

hey, i was curious about some good computer cases.

How much should i spend on a case if the total budget is $1500-$1600 AUD...
    What extra cooling system do i need? (if i need 1)
    What minimum PSU do i need?

ill be running:

- Intel E6600 (no overclocking... yet)
    - 2GB RAM
    - DVD Burner
    - 3 HDD's totaling 950GB
    - 7900GS Overclocked (Asus EN7900GS-2DHT 256M DDR3 HDTV Dual DVI) - i will be getting a 2nd or 3rd gen Dx10 when it comes out
    - 2 PCI cards

- how do these two cases rate?

Thermaltake Tsunami http://www.pcshopper.com.au/product....cat=491&page=2

XG Viper

ive also been looking at the Tt Armour Jr... is that any good from experience?

thankyou

Re: Computer Cases....

IMO, you should never spend much over $50 USD on a case that isn't SFF or rack-mountable. You end up spending a lot of money on worthless (not useless, just not valuable) features. Even for aesthetic purposes, you should be able to manage to get something good for around $50 USD, if not much less. You can go even cheaper, but you'll either be going for a flimsier (which isn't necessarily a problem) case or for a less visually impressive one. The case with the best thermals I've yet worked with cost a grand total of $40 USD shipped to my door, and the best overall I've worked with cost closer to $55 shipped. I even have one that cost $25 shipped that works great. Spending ridiculous amount of money on fancy cases is silly.

You shouldn't need any extra cooling. You'll probably want an intake fan and an exhaust fan if you're going to have all that, but that should be it. If you overclock (and you absolutely should), you'd be best off throwing $30-$40 USD worth into an aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan.

If you want to be able to upgrade to a DX10 card later, you'll probably want something over 600W, especially if you might overclock. I wouldn't recommend waiting until the next generation of DX10 cards (that will be at least nine months away and there will be at least five DX10 titles out before then), but the mid-generation speed bump would be a good upgrade point three to six months from now. Don't get the PSU as part of the case. Always buy PSU and case separately.

Have you decided on every component yet? Do you already own some of this?

Comment

Could you please give me a link to some good cases.

Originally posted by Yawgm0th View Post
      You shouldn't need any extra cooling. You'll probably want an intake fan and an exhaust fan if you're going to have all that, but that should be it.
      Intake: 120mm?
      Exhaust: 2x 80mm?

If you overclock (and you absolutely should), you'd be best off throwing $30-$40 USD worth into an aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan.
      I have never overclocked a PC before. Would i be able to watch or read a tutorial and be able to do it?

the mid-generation speed bump would be a good upgrade point three to six months from now.
      whats that?

Have you decided on every component yet? Do you already own some of this?
      I only own the 2 out of the 3 HDD's (IDE 200GB & IDE 250GB).
      Would you like to make a suggestion on the components?

Thanks...

Comment

Sounds good on the fans.

Overclocking is fairly simple. It varies from system to system, but there are tons of tutorials out there.

About every year, Nvidia/AMD (formerly ATI) come out with a new generation of cards. About half-way between coming out with a new generation, they come out with a speed bump. They improve the manufacturing process, make optimizations, etc. For example, Radeon 9700 was the new generation, Radeon 9800 was the speed bump. GeForce 7800 was the new generation, GeForce 7900 was the speed bump. If you want to get a sub-$250 non-DX10 card now, you'll want to upgrade to a card when the speed bump comes around in a few months.

A Seagate 500GB SATA drive would be your best bet to fill the rest of your storage needs. You can use the other two for storage, and that one for games, applications, operating system, etc. You could certainly switch it around and have it be storate, but a Seagate 500GB would be your best bet if you need to total around a TB of space.

If you need or want to do dual layer discs, I'd highly recommend a Pioneer 111D or 112D. If not, get a SATA burner. You'll probably end up getting a motherboard that has only one IDE controller, which means you'd need a an IDE to SATA converter or SATA drive, since you have two IDE drives.

I'd highly recommend you get G. Skill 2x1GB DDR2 800 for the RAM. That will handle anything you'll need, and for a very good price.

Comment

What is the minimum PSU i should get? because it just seems so expansive ($300+AUD, i assume thats about $150USD) for the case + PSU.

With the case, what do u think about the Antec Nine Hundred?

these are my components: All prices are AUD and from http://www.umart.com.au (click the milton store) Check it out.

CPU: Intel ATX E6600 CORE 2 DUO /2.4GHz/4MB CACHE/1066FSB/LGA775 $449
          RAM: DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC6400 800Mhz with HeatSpread ADATA - $200

I went for Adata because it was so cheap (about $120 cheaper then G.Skill which was the next cheapest.)

Motherboard: Asus P5N-E-SLI S775 QuadCore nF650i-SLI 2xPCIEx16 RAID GbLAN 1394a ATX - $189

I think im a bit lost there, no boards are really that much different to each other.

Moniter: LG L194WT 19inch Widescreen LCD - 5ms, DVI, 2000:1 Silver Tilt - $285
          Video Card: Asus EN7900GS-2DHT 256M DDR3 HDTV Dual DVI - $239
          DVDRW: Asus 1814BLT-BLK 18xDVDRW SATA, LightScribe, BLACK

I went for the asus because i want lightscribe and LG's lightscribe wasnt avalible at my store.

500GB HDD: Western Digital 500G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD(16Mb Cache) - $245

I went for WD because it was over $50 cheaper then the seagate.

What is latency in RAM?

Thank you very much, i rly appreciate all this help

Comment

I wouldn't get anything less than 500W. You'd be safe with 550W.

The Nine Hundred is a cool case, but it seem to me it would make more sense to get something half the price.

This will answer your last question better than I can in my current state.

Comment

The Nine Hundred is a really cool case! Just built my new system in it yesterday. It looks very nice but wire management (which I haven't really got to yet) is a royal pain in the butt. If you go with the 900 be aware that the PSU is on the bottom and unless you have exceptionally long PSU wires you will wind up with the mobo wire harness running right across the face of the mobo. There is not nearly as much room in the 900 as one might expect but it does get the job done in fine style. I'm pleased with what I have but as Yawgm0th says there are a lot of nice cases for a lot less coin.
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I'd go with A gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 case

Looks like the smartest designed case I've seen yet and it's priced to sell. I wish it had an eSATA port on it though just incase I have use for that in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
                  I'm pleased with what I have but as Yawgm0th says there are a lot of nice cases for a lot less coin.

Comment

Working...
                  X