Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Somethink is wrong..

Hi, Havnt been on this in a while.
    My problem started when i needed to add some of that thermal compound on my cpu. i followed all the steps, removed the crusty layer of the old thermal compound and applyied the new stuff.
    Reconnected all the wires back onto the motherboard but now when i go to play games or run any 3D application it goes really slow.
    For example playing Half-Life 2 use to be at 50-70fps but now its at 10-30fps, i cheack to see if i bumbed my graphics card, but it was still secure, checked everythink (RAM, HD Cables/power, DVD cable/power) but it seems that my pc has lost the power to play games since i added on that thermal compund. Any ideas ppl.

Re: Help, Somethink is wrong..

You may have applied too much compound and now it is overheating and throttling the CPU power down. What are your system specs and what did you use? How much? You only need a paper thin layer of paste.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

i only applied paper thin, ive used akasa AK-450, it also came with a sort of card that u use in order to apply the stuff. And the tempreture is in the normal range 30-50c as before the compound it was at 50-65c. The processing power is fine. Im a mapper for a half-life 2 mod and need a good processor to compile the maps. Infact after adding the compund my processor seems faster. But i have no idea whats wrong.
      But i just got an idea, if ive added the compound to the processor and its made it run at a better rate, could it be drawing more power.

Ive got a 400watt power suply
      Graphics card requires 350watts
      2X 1gb RAM 2.5v-2.6v
      2X HD
      2X DVD
      3X PC fans excluding cpu fan and graphics fan
      1X sound card PCI
      1X Wireless card PCI (Inactive)
      But ive had no problem with this before.

Comment

What brand/model power supply and how much power does it have on the 12V+ rail? While it may have worked before, a 400W power supply is probably on the weak side for your PC. What brand/model is the video card and CPU?
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Well i dont know the exact specificaltion of my power supply but i know it has a 12v rail and possible max load of 16-20A 12V.My processor is a Intel P4 3.0ghz 800fbs 512kb cache L1 and 1mb cache L2 HT dont know much else about itGraphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 6600 256mb AGP from PNY which as an extra power adapter.

Comment

Well that PSU is well on the low side for that setup and is likely now feeling the pressure.

Comment

Working...
            X