Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Theater System

hey guys,

im planning to build a dedicated home theater room. its lighting will be completly controlled, and seems perfect for a home theater.

now, my problem is. im not sure weather to get a front projector or a plasma. the projectors are excellent value (about $2000-$3000 for 100inch) but im not sure weather or not i will use it as a everday TV (which i want 2). i will also play games on it (playstation 3 wen it finaly comes out!). does any1 hav a projector? is the quality the same as a normal TV/ plasma????

the problem with plasmas is of course the price and even if u get the best plasma out ther, not even gonna come close to a projector.

Thx guys
    Last edited by free_park26; 03-18-2006, 10:36 PM.

Re: Home Theater System

any thoughts on the plasmas??? or projectors???

Comment

I don't have a projector, but IMO (based on both gaming/TV experience and the fact that we use them in school for videos on a weekly basis) a good one can be as good as about any actual screen. The exception is if (and if you can afford this stuff, I should say "when", because it's worth it) you get HDTV. And HD screen with and HD signal will blow away anything you've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure an HD projector would be out of the question.

Also, a projector is only as good as the the projection surface and the lighting. If you project onto a white wall or screen and then have an overhead light off you want be able to see crap. With the lights off and a decent (primary aspect being flatness) surface, a projector can be great.

Comment

projectors are sweet, LG just came out with one that puts out HD quality picture....costs about $7,000usd IIRC.....if you're looking at an everyday TV, look at LCD's....you wont have to worry about burn in....its sad but thats still a downfall of most plasmas still today....

Comment

nice points... i thought that all modern (within the last 3 years) TV's had the ability to be HD as long as u connected a HD reciever.

how long would u hav to leave a plasma on for, for it to burn in???

and i will be building the room so i can crontrol everything including the lighting.

could u guys also check out my thread in networking/ internet about wireless media centers....

thx heaps guys

Comment

I've had a couple of projectors, they are really great...adjustable screen, easy to move and they don't take up much space. The only downside is that the bulbs can get expensive. My old Sharp's UV bulbs would cost ~$300, only lasting a year or two. So if you do go with a projector, be sure you check the bulb price/availability before you buy.

I suggest you check some projectors out at a higher end home theater shop..they have come a long way from just a few years back. Grab the model# of some that you like and search on places like mysimon.com for lower prices that are tax free.

Comment

Working...
            X