Help me before I go insane with this PCI/PCI Express stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me before I go insane with this PCI/PCI Express stuff

I need some advice - PLEASE!!!! I just bought (like 2 weeks ago) a brand new Dell Dimension E310. Pretty much got whatever was the standard with it (didn't opt for any upgrades - stupid on my part) - and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the hell kind of graphics card I need to buy. Whatever it is that comes with the thing will not play my husband's games (Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, etc).

So, in my OLD Dell computer I had an AGP slot with an ATI card that I bought and installed myself and had no problems with. BUT, the new computer does not have an AGP slot. So, I thought I needed to get a PCI card... well the guy at Circuit City tells me that since it's a new computer, it probably has a PCI Express slot, not a PCI. I called Dell to find out what I have, and I thought I was asking them to speek Greek or something, because they were stumped. The Dell person finally said that he thinks I have a PCI Express 1x. So, I looked for video cards that fit that bill, and I'm running into a brick wall. Circuit City wants forty bux for me to bring this damn thing in for them to just tell me what I have. I've looked for days online and I've looked in the store and I just don't know what to do. I could take a picture of the slots if that would help someone tell me what I have. I'm so frustrated with this, I could just cry .

So anyhow... sorry for the rambling... I'm just at my wit's end. I want to buy a card, but have NO idea which one because I don't know what will work. ANY help would be so appreciated--and like I said I can send pictures or whatever would help.

Thanks in advance-
    Denise

Re: Help me before I go insane with this PCI/PCI Express stuff

Open the case and take a picture. Post that picture and it will be very easy to tell.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but I just looked this PC up on google:

If you read halfway down, it tells you there is no PCI-E 16X slot and that means you need a regular PCI video card, not PCI-E. I suggest looking for an ATI 9550 PCI or an ATI 9250 PCI. There are few PCI based video cards that are any good, but those two are decent enough for games at low-medium settings.

If you can, send it back and get a better PC with a PCI-E 16X slot. This PC is just not going to be a good gaming PC.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate

Comment

Thank you sooo very much for replying - and for that article link (of course, I thought I had covered everything before I purchased, but now I know better) . Returning the unit is not an option for me as it was purchased by my job because I do use it for some work stuff. But, we will be using it for a lot of personal stuff (gaming included), and when we tried to load the first game, we realized this problem, so I'm trying to fix it the best way possible.

What is the deal with the PCI Express 1x slot? I found this article : http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/07...ox_g550pcie_x1 talking about a video card for this slot... is this something that I could use, or is it just not even an option.

If the regular PCI is my only option, then of the two you mention (ATI 9250 & 9550) which is better? Or is there a more expensive, better PCI option? I don't mind paying more money (I saw both of those ATI's for around a hundred bux)- even if it's for 'old' technology - as long as we'll get some good life out of the thing.

Thanx again in advance... much appreciated
        Denise

Comment

That PCI-E 1X card is only for 2D, not for 3D gaming. It would be useless, forget it.

As for the video card, I would have to say that this:

looks to be about the best card I could find on Newegg for a PCI slot. THey just don't make good PCI based video cards. Make sure to get one with 128-bit memory or it will be even slower.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate

Comment

Yep the 5500 or the 9550 are your two highest end options for PCI (at least that are still available).

Comment

Working...
            X