Heatsink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatsink

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help talk me through removing my heatsink from a HP E-PC SFF computer? I pulled the little lever up and tried to take the clip out, but the clip won't budge. I don't want to force it, because I don't want to break the motherboard. I got the HP E-PC as a barebones computer. I would like to get a new CPU chip. But would I need to get a new heatsink, or can I use the old one? Any information would be helpful. Thank you, Rachelle.

Re: Heatsink

get a new heatsink preferably zalmen, you may have to apply little more force to taking it off make sure there arnt any screws.

Comment

Hi Burton88,
      Thank you for the help. I did take the only screw out and lift the lever, but I can't get the clip off. Does the clip hook onto the little 'bed' or 'seat' that the CPU chip sits on, or does the clip hook onto the CPU chip itself? I don't want to force it and end up damaging the motherboard.
      Thank you,
      Rachelle

Comment

Hi Rachelle!

The clips attached to the plastic mounting bracket/seat. If you hold the heatsink fan firmly in one hand without appling any undo downward force, while pressing the black lever down and in (towards the fan) with your other hand it should release from the plastic shelf it's hooked to without any problem. And don't be afraid of chiping/cracking the CPU core as, from the design described, it most likely has an IHS/Integrated heat sink which covers the bare core.

When you buy a new CPU just purchase the Retail box in stead of the OEM. As the retail includes Heatsink/fan and 3yr warranty, while the OEM comes with neither.
        Unless you plan on Overclocking the stock HS/F are more than efficient. And the new Athlon 64's even come with a massive stock 4 heatpipe HS/F.
        Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Hello,

I was able to get the heatsink out without damaging anything (thank goodness) . The heatsink I pulled out looks fine. Is it okay to use it again with a new CPU? I have pictures of the heatsink. I can e-mail the pictures if someone would need to look at it .

Thank you,
          Rachelle

Comment

If the heatsink isn't gouged/deeply scratched you could clean it with rubbing alcohol and apply new thermal compound. And yes it can be reused depending on what CPU you upgrade to.

What is your current CPU and what do you plan on buying to replace it???

Comment

Hi Dryadsoul,

I don't have a CPU yet. I'm looking for a CPU chip around 1 Ghz. This is my first time putting a computer together from scratch, so I don't want to jump into the heavy-duty work yet.

Rachelle

Comment

If you live in North America I've got a AMD 1Ghz Duron you could have for S&H! What mobo do have ATM? If it runs PC 100 Mem I got 3 sticks with Hyundai chips that either equal 384/768mb.............same deal, yours for the asking!

Hell, I've gotta few VGA, Sound and Net cards you could dust off as well!
                Just shout out!
                Last edited by dryadsoul; 02-21-2006, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Dryadsoul,

Thank you for offering computer parts, but I don't know if I can use anything or not. The computer I'm putting together is an HP E-PC E-Vectra c10, Product Number P4263T ABA. It's a SFF business computer. The other stats are:
                  20GB HDD IDE
                  128MB SDRAM
                  24x Max Slim IDE CD-ROM
                  Windows '98/2000PRO
                  Intel Pentium 3 (up to 1GHz) Socket 370

I'd like to put a 30GB Hard Drive, Slim CD-RW/DVD-ROM, 1 GHz CPU and Windows XP. There is only one slot for memory, so I figured a 128MB would be good to make it a 256MB (I think).

Rachelle

Comment

Hi Rachelle,

Okay....you said that nasty P word....soooooooo, only the Memory will work for you and If you PM me with a mailing addy I'll post it off next week. Just call it a late Xmas/early B-Day present as a couple bucks ain't gonna put me in the poor house. :D
                    Last edited by dryadsoul; 02-22-2006, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X