Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SLI setup with OCZ Modstream 520W PSU....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLI setup with OCZ Modstream 520W PSU....

I was wondering if its possbile 2 use the OCZ Modstream 520W PSU in an SLI setup???.....I've heard that u can't b/c your psu needs 2 PCI EXPRESS connectors in order 2 do the setup....but I've read in a reivew that u can even though this psu doesn't have 2 pci express connections...so I'm confused now...here is the link on a review of the GeForce 7800 GTX SLI setup with the psu: http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/231/ ....there's even pics of it showing the modstream connected.....but in the pic there's another pci express connector (black plug) on the 2nd GPU card....I was wondering where that plug is connected 2...I have this psu I would like 2 do an SLI setup in the near future...so b4 I want 2 buy another video card 2 do it...I'd like 2 know if it would really work with this psu.....thanks!

Re: SLI setup with OCZ Modstream 520W PSU....

I wouldn't try SLId 7800GTXs on a 520W PSU unless I really had to.

Comment

I am running 2 7800GTX cards with a 520W Modstream. I DO NOT recommend it. Get a beefier power supply. If you never ever plan on overclocking or adding any extra hardware to your system, then it would be barely adequite. I have numerous power related issues and cannot even overclock the slightest bit with any stability. I am getting a Enermax PSU myself that is SLI certified. I love my Modstream, but it does not have the grunt for SLI, especially with power hungry 7800 GTX cards and an AMD64 CPU.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I really need to eat my words. After some more testing with my setup, it was not the powersupply causing my grief, but a poorly grounded wall outlet. While I still agree with Yawgmoth that bigger is better, this PSU has been doing surprisingly well. I still would recommend a SLI native PSU, but this thing has more grunt than I thought.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
        X