First Post Scsi Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post Scsi Question

Hello All, Great site. Planning to upgrade after Xmas (cheap). I am not a much of a gammer, but my wife sort of is, if we had a better comp to do it on. I have to stress budget is tight because we have horses, diesel truck, feed etc. What i have got is a Adaptec 3950u2 scsi controller card. I has 64 bit channel and a latency channel (32 bit). I was thinking of building a system around this. Which means 64 bit cpu, board and os. I believe the card is a couple years old but is able to go in 3.3 or 5v pci slot. http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...key=AHA-3950U2

Any suggestions? Go to go to work bye for now.

Re: First Post Scsi Question

Since you're planning on building a new system basically from the ground up anyway, I would recommend scrapping the SCSI concept altogether unless you already have a few drives laying around that make use of this interface. With IDE getting faster all the time and SATA coming out with their latest high-speed drives, there is no reason to even consider a more expensive SCSI setup. You can build your system using a motherboard that has onboard SATA RAID and either come very close to SCSI performance or likely even beat it. This will give you the speed you're looking for and also help on the budget idea you mentioned early on.

Good luck!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yes, good point, plus the fact that dual core cpu's would be a better investment than a scsi drives price. I had a AMD 700 in a Gigabite board with this card in it years ago, it didn't justifiy all the money for the wife kids to play freecell on. They were happy (the main thing) but could have a better system on a ide for the price.

Comment

I agree don't go down scsi route........I did and well it's expensive...and performance using 160 set up is about the same as sata.........which is half the price!!!!! I am using a 15k drive this is good ...... but not as fast as I thought ......

So go sataII its cheap and fast!!!

Comment

check out www.alienware.com, you may be able to find a system you are looking for, without that card, they have great customization options

Comment

um... were you replying to the original thread creator? He is going to be building his own and is on a budget. While Alienware makes some of the better pre-built machines on the market, they won't fit into either of the categories of the original concept.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

gotcha

Comment

Working...
              X