Which PSU to use X-Connect or PC Power and Cooling SLI Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which PSU to use X-Connect or PC Power and Cooling SLI Deluxe

I found out the problem with my system was a bad RAM stick. So now I have and extra motherboard and an extra PSU. The motherboard I just tossed cause I think it might have been bad. Sounds like a waste, I know, but I'm so sick of all these computer parts piling up in my room.

Anyway... the two PSU's are an Ultra X-Connect 500W UV Blue. These have a horrible rep on DFI Street for the Lanparty boards (which I'm using), but it is UV and looks pretty cool in my case, which makes it hard to part with. It's also modular so there's less cables to deal with.

The other PSU is PC Power and Cooling SLI Deluxe that I paid $230 for. This is supposed to be one of the best units to use with the Lanparty board, but it doesn't look as great.

I've checked the voltages on both units will running and they both seems to be about the same.

I know it's obvious which one is better, but the question I ask is, is it necessary? Will the X-Connect work fine for my situation.

BTW I'm using:

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
    2x OCZ PC4000 VX 512MB
    Sapphire X850XT PE
    Athlon FX-55 San Diego

Re: Which PSU to use X-Connect or PC Power and Cooling SLI Deluxe

Another quick question... Is 12.41-12.47 too high for the 12V rail?

Comment

I wouldn't risk it. Use the PC Power and Cooling.

Originally posted by Bobby74213
      Another quick question... Is 12.41-12.47 too high for the 12V rail?
      If you're getting this reading from the BIOS, it may be inaccurate. Regardless, the ATX specification requires that the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v deviate no more than +/-5%, which means if it is anywhere between 11.4 and 12.6, it's fine. However, I'd say that's high enough that you should test it with a multimeter, just in case the BIOS is being inaccurate in the it says it's lower than it really is.

Comment

I'm starting to get confused now... I've replaced the motherboard, one stick of RAM and the PSU, but the system is still unstable. Still getting errors like 0x003245987 popping up. Usually it hits the fan once I try to upgrade to Service Pack 2.

I'm thinking it might now be the hard drive (WD Raptor) becuase while installing the new PSU yesterday I noticed one of the pins (black wire) in a female molex connector was out. This connected to my front instake fans and my hdd with the OS on. I have no idea how long it's been like this, but would it cause permanent damage?

Comment

It might. Do you still get the error with the HDD powered by the faulty molex connector?

Also, to ensure it's not a RAM error, you should use memtest86+, which you can find in my signature.

Comment

Another theory...

Would it be possible that the one stick of RAM I haven't replaced is damaged and causing these errors? I'm currently testing this theory right now by installing the OS with just the new stick of RAM installed.

Comment

Yeah, memtest. good idea. DFI boards have that utility built right on them.

I reconnected the pin, so everything's hooked up fine now. I just didn't know if it might have done some permanent damage.

So far the installation is going smooth with just the one known good stick of RAM.

Comment

DFI boards have memtest86+ built into them? Are you sure? Lots of boards have a built-in memory test of some sort, but I've never heard of any actually using that particular program.

Comment

Yeah, it says memtest86+. It's an option in the Genie Bios section that you can enable and instead of loading the OS it goes straight into memtest.

Comment

Working...
                  X