Sharing a Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a Printer

I have two computers, one running 98 and one running ME. They both have USB ports, and my printer does too. I am not networking but is there a way to share the printer anyway?:shrug: :?:

enable file and folder sharing, right click on printer and click share. you should be able to figure the rest out from there.

if your PCs are not networked together, then why do you want to share the printer?

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
      if your PCs are not networked together, then why do you want to share the printer?
      Why not? I thought it was a reasonable request.

Check the printer to see if it's got two inputs (either 2 x USB or 1 USB and 1 parallel). If so, then you can hook both PCs up to it, as far as I'm aware, without any problems.

However, that might not work if the printer can't handle being sent two jobs at once, in which case you'd either need to set up a mini-network (a crossover cable should do the job), or possibly even a printer switch box. All of which will cost a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
        Why not? I thought it was a reasonable request.
        i wasn't thinking physically sharing the printer... oh well, just ignore me, i'm a little slow tonight :zzz:

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
          enable file and folder sharing, right click on printer and click share. you should be able to figure the rest out from there.

I don't want to spend the money for a second printer, that's why. I haven't got much being retired and on a fixed salary.:cry:

Comment

the cheapest way to do it would probably be to run a crossover cable between the 2 PCs and then network-share the printer
            :)

Comment

Working...
            X