GIGABYTE's Dynamic Energy Saver Detailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE's Dynamic Energy Saver Detailed

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "GIGABYTE's Dynamic Energy Saver Detailed"

Re: GIGABYTE's Dynamic Energy Saver Detailed

Good to see that motherboard makers are starting to look at environmentally responsible computing, but what use is it if this DES is not available on all of their products? Does anyone know exactly which motherboards have DES? Are they available now?

Comment

The soon to be available gigabyte DES motherboards link was in the review
      Last edited by efex172; 01-11-2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Contrary to what the article makes us hope, i don't think we'll see DES on the previous revisions of the boards. They are releasing x.1 Revisions all over the place right now.
        For the DS4 for instance, the bios was identical (as of a few days ago) between rev 2.0 and 2.1. This leads to the conclusion that the difference is to be found in the actual hardware.
        GA-Z77X-UD5H # F16-mod8
        i5-3570K # 4.1Ghz
        32GB Geil DDR3-1600 Evo Leggera
        Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
        Seasonic G-550

Comment

In my opinion DES has a fatal flaw that renders it useless. If you have set your computer to make a sound whenever a program or process opens, with DES activated it will make that sound every second on the second until it is deactivated again. I use sounds to monitor the background activity of my computer (unexpected sounds of programs opening or closing raise my suspicion) and consider that ability more valuable than any energy savings that DES might provide.

It appears that DES samples energy requirements on a second-by-second basis and that my operating system (XP Pro) interprets each sampling occurrence as a new program or process opening and correspondingly makes the sound that I preset, second-by-second. It makes monitoring of other background activity impossible. I have brought this to Gigabyte's attention but their technicians have difficulty understanding English and I have gotten nowhere despite numerous very detailed explanations of the problem. They have stopped asking questions and I think they have decided to ignore the problem in the hope that there aren't more people like me.

It is probably going to take a chorus to get their attention.

Comment

Working...
          X