Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: Mobile Phone Costs

I've got a bit of a rant...

Over the past week or so I've been checking out mobile phone prices around the city, and I must say - the asking price of all the latest phones are totally ridiculous.

The phone I was looking at buying outright, the Nokia 8310, was over $800 AU at most stores.

I cannot justify spending that much on a phone, $400 maybe... but no way, not that much!

Now I don't know if all the big phone companies think they can charge an arm and a leg now that every man and his dog carries and phone with him or her, but geez... these prices are WAY over the top!

: peace:
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Who Cares
    0%
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

We have a lot of good deals on the phones here in the US but they usually require at leasta 1 year commitment to the service to get the good price.

Some of the newer sprint phones here can play games in color [i could have sworn some kid was playing kung fu master on his phone Friday on my way in to work]. if anyone remember Kung Fu Master I will feel less old.

Comment

What does that say if cell phones have enough memory/storage capability on them to play that game.

In other words, it doesnt surprise me a bit if you actually DID see it LOL.

Cell phones in Korea are probably some of the more advanced ones in the world. I'll get around to taking a picture of mine one of these days. I've never seen anything like it. I'll be pissed when I have to go back to the states and use an "inferior" phone!

Most plans here are affordable, since EVERYONE and their dog.. yes, dog.. has a cell phone. Still, for a foreigner, I had to pay roughly a $100 fee to convince them I wasn't going to not pay my bill and leave the country.
      Chris "Raven"
      News Crew - TweakTown
      <!--
      <font size=1>
      <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
      - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
      - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
      - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
      </font>
      // -->
      "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Most phones even the lower priced ones (still to expensive) are feature rich, how often if ever do you use all these features.

I have a CDMA, as i live in the country, my phone the
        Kyocera 2135, ample features cost $320 outright purchas,so l can swap to cheaper plans as they become availiable.

A $800 aud. pnone ......thats for keeping up with the "Jones" imo and will the $400's of extras be used that often.

Some ppl require these features, but they are not the norm.

Phones and call charges are way to high in Australia.

And Hel$tra cannot even get my dial-up service to specs, my modem speed averages 10 to 11kbps

Feel better now........my little rant for the day :mad:

Comment

Cell phones are scheduled to be having cable modem speeds before 2005 ;)

Comment

I live just fine without a mobile phone.
            The wife thinks I need one in case of an emergency traveling to and from work. I say, "Why? If I need to call, I'll just throw a rock at the first vehicle that comes by - they'll have the cops there in no time." Everybody else has a Cell so I don't need one:D

And if you want to call me, you'll have to wait till I get home.
            Wait, that won't work --- I'll be online! Better email me.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

My room phone died and the local carrier had the best deal for me. My phone is an Ericsson R300d---nothing fancy, but a step up from the exact same priced Audiovox model they had. Cost me $50 USD (what is that $600 AUD:D:p)---so pretty cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X