I found an Open Source RTS Game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found an Open Source RTS Game!

I was just hopping around Wikipedia when I found Warzone 2100, a discontinued open-source game. I Downloaded the Windows Port and seemed to like it. Even with tons of units, My PC seems to chug along fine.

Instead of the previous RTSs I have played, you can design your own vehicle. For Example, In Red Alert 2, it has simple prebuilt tanks, but in this game, You select a body, (Large, medium, or small) then the propulsion (Wheels, Tracks, Jets, etc.) and then Weapons (Many). Then you can rename your unit to anything you like. And Instead of those RTSs where a building just pops out of the blue, a truck will build the structure, unlike Red Alert or Stronghold Crusader.

The mods for the game are many too, but I have not tested them.

They even claim it can work on PII 200 MHz with 64MB of RAM. I might just test this.

You can find the link here, but the Movies are stripped off:

Or, If you like to download the 2 CDS (forgive me if its illegal here, but its open source) via bittorrent:
    Download music, movies, games, software and much more. The Pirate Bay is the galaxy's most resilient BitTorrent site.

I am going to download that 2 CDs!

P.S: If it IS bad please don't ban me, Its open source, right? Just remove the bad thing. Thanks!

May want to double check that the 2 CDs your downloading really are the Open Source.

I think (And I could be wrong, so don't take my word on it.) that the 'The Warzone 2100 Resurrection Project' version is legal.

As a rule downloading ripped version of a games CDs is definitely questionable/illegal. The game becoming Open Source does not automatically mean all previous releases are free. So I'd be careful about downloading anything from a site with 'the pirate bay' in its web address name.

If this CD version still contains the FMVs then it is definitely illegal, since the cut scenes have not be release via open source. (From what I've read.)

The Warzone 2100 Resurrection Project:
    minus the FMVs)
    Although the 'Resurrection Project' version seems to be ok. I'd do some more independent research before downloading it just in case. (Like find the official copyright holders site, if it still exists, and check to make sure they've released it as open source.)

I played this game when it came out on the PS1, it was pretty good!

Sorry about the rant.
    Last edited by SpellSword; 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
    When I dream,
    I carry a sword in one hand,
    a gun in the other...

Comment

Working...
    X