Unreal II... wtf!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal II... wtf!?

I'm just posting this as kind of an opinion forum.
    I recently bought Unreal II, seeing that it got so much hype, and UT2k3 was pretty cool (gets boring after a while, but not a bad game at all :thumb: ). I beat it in like, 6 hours (over about 3 days). I'd like to say, wtf did they do for 5 years? I mean, yah, the game has some pretty cool graphics, but that's it. The weapons arent that great, the game play sux, you move slower than molasses, the levels are the same: run, shoot, push a button or run after a guy here and there, and just walk straight through it; that's about it. On top of that, the game doesnt run well either. Check my sig, my specs arent that bad (cept for the HDD, but that will change soon :D , and the levels preload, so it shouldnt be a problem), but the game still crawled in places (like, 10-15 fps, avg. about 50fps). I wasnt that happy with it at all. But also, most games now are really starting to suck. What happened to the good old days when it would take 40+ hours to beat a game? I mean, the levels are simple now, there's no good puzzles, levels/missions are short and there arent many of em, the action sucks, innovation is at a low... I dunno, yell back and lemme know what ya think :cheers: . : peace2: Mista K6

Suggestion 1: Read personal reviews of game before buying.

Comment

suggestion 2: read reviews of games before buying them

sugg 3-----ditto
      sugg 4-----ditto
      ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.ect. ect. ect.

Comment

All-in-all, those are good suggestions. However, when you're a hardcore Unreal/UT2K3 player, waiting to read about how good Unreal2 is, doesn't really work. I bought it the day it came out. Dissapointed in the game myself. But the engine is absolutly INSANE.

This engine wasn't written to be good on the current machine, which will be low-end soon enough. This engine was meant to be used on future machine/hardware, to really kickass.

Even if I did wait, and read reviews about it, I still would have bought it. It's still worth it. :2cents:

Comment

i would like to see a hardcore mod come outta unrealII b/c the game engine is pretty neat, but i expected more from the rag-doll effects. If someone would take the time to mod it, add some vehicles and maybe some multiplayer i think it would have potential

Comment

my :2cents: = one of the best uses of the unreal engine is delta force black hawk down. this shows how the engine will be used in the future. if you havent seen it check out the demo.

Comment

i loved unreal 2 cause i didn't have any bugs - i loved the weapons and style of play - the levels where huge and ill post a better reason later! try downloading the patch to solve ur bugs

ta ta

Comment

Sry about the hostility in that first post, it was about 11 at night and I'd just played for like, 5 hours straight (My oh my I love vacation :D ). Anyways, yah, the engine was seriously awesome, and newer games should be awesome if they use it. The graphics in the game were pretty good, cept I think they should've coded the effects a little differently, cause they seriously started to drain on my CPU (I feel bad for the people who ran it on a slower machine, how the heck could you get any eye candy out of the game???). It just seemed to me that the game was lacking, and that they spent too much time on graphics. Take, for example, shadows. If anyone here is familiar with Hitman 2 (graphics arent great, but the game play rules the first time through, and its still fun to go back and pop people here and there :snip: :p )? The shadows in that game were pretty awesome (play it in 1024x768x32 or higher rez, you'll see what I mean), and if EA had developed a similar projector engine (that what they call it?) and added the blur option (what a cool option for shadows!), that would have seriously upped performance. I played Hitman 2 with every option on possibleand never had any noticible performance drops (my guess would be that the game stayed at 60+ fps the entire time). Also, I think that the karma death physics drag way too much out of the CPU, and that programmers should go back to the old days of "a shot in the shoulder yields one of the following 3 types of deaths" and that way the CPU could choose one, and performance wouldn't suffer at all, not that we would notice any eye candy difference (think about it, I think it would make sense, or either that, blend the two).Anyway, my point is is that they should have spent more time and made bigger levels (I thought the levels were average size) and better game play. Most of the game seemed like you just went through pumping lead, scuse me, depleted uranium ( :p ) into everything, not much innovation. Also, you moved WAY to slow, most games what you walk at is what dalton ran at. It just seems that games are starting to lose the game play quality, innovation, and replay value to graphics. I mean, UT2k3 was the first game in a long time that I saw trying to tackle a delicate balance and reach into all fields. The graphics were pretty sweet on it, and didnt require that fast of a machine (cept if you like single player 15 bot matches, which can be fun too :thumb: ) to get adequate eye candy. For a shooting game, it keeps game play alive with many moves, mods, mutators, maps, and, of course, a multiplayer. It's pretty innovative too. I dunno, I'm just looking back on the days of games like rogue spear. After you took a long time to beat it (planning out and executing missions took some some time) you could go on zone.com and have multiplayer matches. That game had about infinite replay value, between the game play, mods, and maps you could create for it. Also, the graphics weren't that bad, and it could be run on all machines except for maybe a 386. I dunno, I think I'm gonna start a new thread where people can just post upcoming games that look really cool. Here's the start: Matrix game and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Wow, I've been babbling for a long time :blah: . Well, that's def more than my :2cents: , probably like $5.45 :rofl: . Ahem, sry, bad joke, anyways, look for the new thread and contribute! : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I forgot my main point about why i thought unreal 2 had problems. i Reckon they rushed to get it out because of the up and coming doom 3 and also halo which are based around the same thing - in space kill things! :) What do you reckon? Or maybe they had too meet deadlines - or they need some better game testers like us ;)

ta ta

Comment

even you can be a game tester just go to the support section of the developers website and ask about being a beta tester. they will let you know how to go about getting in.

Comment

Working...
                    X