Gamer's Word "Fragging"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamer's Word "Fragging"

Does this have anything to do with the word "frag" or "fragging" that computer gamers use?

"Frag, Fragging: A Vietnam-era term for the murder of an officer (usually an unpopular one) by his own troops. It comes from "fragmentation grenade," which was a weapon of choice for the attacks."

Actually, I have yet to figure out the term, unless it has something to do with frames-per-minute.

Thanks for your replies.

:-(

Hi it's pretty basic a 'frag' is simply a kill. So for example in Day of Defeat Beta 3.1 I cap your face in, and you sprawl backwords and proceed to die after some fancy animation. If I was 13 I would say "Hahahaz0r I fragz0red you azz0r w00tz0r n0wz0r?" Now myself would probably say 'hehe nt (nice try) man, you like that frag?"

Comment

It's just one of those things that gamers pick up and then use all the time. Back in the old days, being 'gibbed' (pronounced jibbed) started becoming very popular. But then 'frag' took over once Doom / Quake multiplayer took off.

It would derive from fragmentation grenades, which are more commonly called frag grenades. Some guy was probably playing with his mates, killed someone with a frag grenade and said "Ha ha! Fragged you!" and the rest is history... Little things take off like that...

Now there's millions of 13375p34|< talkin, foul mouthed little *******s speaking crap all over the place now.. :(

Comment

I think Frag became common usage in UT and Q3, but maybe it's dying out as other terms seem appropriate for other games.

For example, in America's Army, one of the speech bindings is "Frag 'em" which refers directly to using the Fragmentation Grenade (as opposed to "Smoke 'em" and "Flash 'em" which refer directly to those types of grenades), and noone talks of Frags for a kill in AA, exactly because of the confusion between the nade and a kill. A kill is a kill in AA :)
        My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
          Frag, Fragging:[/B] A Vietnam-era term for the murder of an officer (usually an unpopular one) by his own troops.
          According to this site it goes back even tot the civil war:

Comment

Frag is such a kool word for killing someone - have you heard of liquid death? I bullet wound just below the nose slicing the spinal cord nerves to the brain. Baiscally turns the body to jelly. Thats on a new game i think Some Cell Shadded SAS one...hmmm

ah well

ta ta :laugh: :snip:

Comment

Thanks all. This has been very helpful and enlightening! ;)
              :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                Back in the old days, being 'gibbed' (pronounced jibbed) started becoming very popular. But then 'frag' took over
                Wow... my circle always pronounced it "Gibbed" :).

Comment

could just be me then. :) All I ever heard it said as was jibbed...

Comment

Yep my firends and i pronounce it Gibbed not Jibbed! However this may have no relevance but if gibbed is related to giblets which are guts of a chickin so guts/gibbed type relation - but giblets are pronounced with a J so who knows how its meant to be said :shrug:

:) ta ta

Comment

that was my reasoning... and jib rolls off the tongue easier than gib. :)

Comment

well nowadays the term would be based on your game...JK2 (jedi knights 2) its ownt, as in "i ownt your ***** ass" if your playing battlefield1942 (best game ever) or counter-strike legitly its owned example: "you were owned" now if your a CS hax0r you would be "b17ch jo0 g07 pw0n3|) bah MAEH!" yes pwned (pronoucnd powned, little stress on the O), because in beta 6 of CS the p60 was 2 shot chest kill frag is from Quake and UT

Comment

but then there are the ones that only use frags for some reason or another, but to those i always say f*ckin' fraggots.

Comment

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=frag :thumb:

Comment

fragging (v)- to put the hurt on someone/something with a vengence and wrath that only a serial killer could devise.

Comment

Working...
                              X