Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will getting more RAM improve BF1942 for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I turned down my hardware acceleration a bit and it helped a lot. It sometimes goofs up and the sounds now hiccup.

I wish EA would make games that work with all kinds of setups...just like ID software does it.

btw- I'm getting 1024mb of ram just for multitasking cuz that's what I do best.

Comment

I play it with 220% bots just to make the missions more interesting. If I try any more than that it starts bogging down the system. 250% isn't too bad, but 300% is unplayable.

I want more dammit. think i need a new CPU.. my old 1600+ ain't livin up to the task.

I'm gonna try turning hardware acceleration off too. thats one thing i haven't tried.
      Maybe that would make 250% better! hehehe.:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by But_Why
        I play it with 220% bots just to make the missions more interesting. If I try any more than that it starts bogging down the system. 250% isn't too bad, but 300% is unplayable.

I want more dammit. think i need a new CPU.. my old 1600+ ain't livin up to the task.

I'm gonna try turning hardware acceleration off too. thats one thing i haven't tried.
        Maybe that would make 250% better! hehehe.:thumb:
        I wonder if this willl work with UT2003...

Comment

Originally posted by ry71984
          I wonder if this willl work with UT2003...
          I read from the Tweaktown UT2003 Tweak guide (linkie: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=392)
          that having it set to Hardware and EAX doesn't do anything for the SB Lives Needs an Audigy to do EAX...

Comment

I think he's referring to the difference between Hardware and non-Hardware (i.e. software), not EAX and hardware.

As with any game, if you have problems with sound, switching to or from hardware sound can improve performance and sound glitches. This is because the Hardware sound may not be fully compatible with your sound card, or it may be designed for your sound card. It all depends on which company's bandwagon the developers jump on.

I was surprised my Audigy didn't benefit from Hardware acceleration on BF1942 as it looked like they were favoring Creative cards, but experiment yourselves and see which works best - Hardware off or on.

And of course if you don't have an Audigy or Audigy 2, don't enabled EAX 3.0 as it won't work on other cards.
            My Machine

Comment

Hey PI, you seem like a lad in the know.

Got a Q for ya.

Why does enabling hardware acceleration decrease performance? i thought the theory of it was to increase performance by taking more of the duties away from the processor and doing it on board, similar to a hardware modem?

Comment

I don't really know why either. In theory hardware acceleration, if supported by your card, should speed things up by taking some of the load off the CPU. Similar to the way in which graphics cards work.

In practice it seems that hardware acceleration is not being implemented correctly by developers, or they're having problems making it completely compatible with all sound cards. I'm sure some of it has to do with drivers as well.

Bottom line is unfortunately you can't assume that hardware acceleration will improve your performance.

Remember though, that you have to make sure the basics are OK. That is, your drivers should be up to date, you've got the DirectX8.1 or higher, your sound card is not sharing an IRQ with another major device, you've got the correct settings in Control Panel>Sound & Audio Devices, etc.
                My Machine

Comment

I got my 1gb of ram now and it does help a little but not a whole lot. I was going to get it up to 1gb anyways, so it wasn't just for BF1942. I was wondering what some good settings are for the cache sizes, ya know those virtual memory and junk.

Anybody have any good instructions?

Comment

WinXP Tweak Guide

As I said, more RAM wasn't your problem, although 1GB is pretty sweet to have, so well done.

The stuttering is more to do with your hard drive being a bottleneck. I mean if the file cache isn't optimized for example your hard drive just cannot line up information fast enough for the graphics card, and even with 1GB the whole game will not load up into your RAM.
                    My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by But_Why
                      Hey PI, you seem like a lad in the know.

Got a Q for ya.

Why does enabling hardware acceleration decrease performance? i thought the theory of it was to increase performance by taking more of the duties away from the processor and doing it on board, similar to a hardware modem?
                      I think you will find the that the sound cards are not taking the complete load of sound processing and parts of the tasks are being handed to the CPU and memory to assist.
                      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                        I think you will find the that the sound cards are not taking the complete load of sound processing and parts of the tasks are being handed to the CPU and memory to assist.
                        Almost defeats the purpose of it don't it?
                        I must admit, it doesn't sound as cool without the hardware acceleration. I could notice quite a few differences when i turned em off.

PI, gonna check out the XP guide too, cos 1942 seems to chug hard out on the HDD when loading/unloading.

Comment

Working...
                        X