• Show
Clear All

One more:

Comment

He's coming to get you.

Comment

Wow... :eek:

Comment

Yes it really looks awesome. But damn that game should be quite demanding on the comp... Every mhz and mb is welcome... lol
          Feels nice to know that i'll have some more mem than 256 soon...

:rolleyes2

Comment

If you UT requires as much as they claim in the post near this one of UT2003 system requirements. How much do you think Doom 3 will require. Do you think my system will suffice? Then again I'm not sure cause there are certain spots in the MOH Demo where it gets a bit lagged. But that's only for 1-2 second intervals. Or in Quake 3 where if I turn on 4XAA and 8XAF and go near a wall and fire the machine gun the FPS can get down as low as 4FPS. What's the deal with Doom 3?

Comment

While no real answers exist yet to your questions RD, lets try some comparrison to the previous generation of games.

The day of the Quake 3 release, the beastiest hardware availiable was (roughly):
              Geforce 256
              P3 700
              PC133 ram

and it ran Q3 'fairly good' to 'well' And that is exactly what iD was shooting for. They could have copped out and given us Unreal Tournament, which really wasn't anything more than Quake2 as far as map detail, and player model aspects. UT was availiable for FREE before it was released, all the guns in UT were in a FREE Q2 MOD called Chaos Deathmatch. And that is a fact. http://www.planetquake.com/retroquake/chaos.htm AND IT WAS FUN, but then UT came out with THEIR version, and slowed the players down, and ruined the engine, added bots, and voila, UT.

But back to the topic at hand. People DID ***** and moan for a month or two after Q3 came out, because their P2 300's didn't play it well. Soon after a cheap upgrade, Q3 was revealed in all its glory, and their doubts were erased, having realized that they WOULD have been pissed if iD had just copped out and pulled something so much easier to render and behind the times, like UT.

SO, now lets consider what will be availiable when DOOM3 comes out: (and this hardware is subject to change depending on the exact release date)

P4 3.5 Ghtz / Athlon 3400+
              NV30 (Geforce 5?)
              RDRAM1066 / DDR 466

And Doom3 will run 'fairly good' to 'well' , and I know that for a fact because I've seen iD do it again and again with each new game title.

==========
              And lets take a look at the OTHER parallels here:

Doom3 MINIMUM vid card requirement: Geforce3 Ti200.
              Quake3 MINIMUM vid card requirement: any gl-mode capable card

Unreal Tournament 2003 MINIMUM vid card requirement: 16 MB TNT2-class
              Unreal Tournament MINIMUM vid card requirement: 8 meg on board video ram or higher
              ==========

See the pattern here? But the most common mindset is this: While games released behind the times ARE much easier to render, they do end up filling the void for the newbies of the world who are either childern on their mom's Gateway, or people playing after work on their work computers, etc. Games behind the times are perfect 'training wheels' for those who will eventually find that they like FPS's, and then seek something higher calibre. This theroy worked flawlessly, keeping the newbs away from Q3 for the most part, making online play a truely wonderful experience almost completely free of newbs/campers/cheaters/****heads.

Comment

gosh.........

it makes me think.......I'm not running HALF of what I need for Doom 3. It looks I'm gonna have to start saving some cash yet again. However ya I did know that with ID. There the ones that always bring the current hardware down to its knees. Doom did it the quake series did it. Now Doom is yet again. But tell me sir. Exactly how bad will doom 3 run on my current system? Don't go giving me the 640X480X16 excuse. lol with all the settings turned down to like 0. :cry:

Comment

It's always time to upgrade! How far you go each time determines how long it lasts. I try to upgrade so that it can last 12 -18 months max.

Comment

Doom3 is still a ways off, RD, so you can start saving your money if you want. You WILL be able to run it however, well enough to at least get a taste to see if you like it, and if you do, you can upgrade then right after it comes out and everthing will be cheaper.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I just hope your right......I just hope your right. I'm do have plans of upgrading to hammer and nv30. I really want to. So it may happen either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X