No announcement yet.

Couple of new Doom III Screenies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great tip. I go within a few blocks of a Best Buy 6 days a week so I'll check it out after it's released.

Comment

If your BestBuy store is like the one I have here, then wait one week from the release date. They usually drop the price by about $10 or so for one week and then take it back up to retail. :)
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Paid AU$99.95 for the tin-box Q3A delivered to my door a day before retail release.
        Worst money ever spent.

For some stupid reason, I forked out another AU$39.95 for the Team Arena mission pack. What was I thinking?

Sold both of 'em few months later for $40.
        Retain value my arse.

Nice jaggies too...

id make the worst games ever. What they do excell at is game engines. Can't wait for someone with half a brain to put the engine to good use.
        *looks at Raven Software & SoF series*
        *looks again at JediKnight II CD*

Comment

We seem to have a difference of opinion. Once I buy a game, I usually hold on to it. I try to play everything first so I know if it's something I want to keep.

Comment

I'm gonna have to stick up for SoF2 here. It's the one game that has drawn me in properly. Now that I've finally got ADSL I'm online all the time playin that.

Comment

BEEFY how did it make that impression on you. Sometimes when I try a demo version, it just doesn't grab me at first. Later playing someone else's it does.

Comment

Demos don't always do a game justice.

Comment

They seldom do, but they generally allow us to see the quality of the game before we fork out our hard-earned dollars. :)
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

That's true. I never actually played the SoF2 demo, I just went out and got it when it came out. haven't regretted it since.

Comment

I've regretted it before when I made an impulse buy on a game. I force myself to play for a while for some return on my investment. Good that you're ecstatic about it.

Comment

id make the worst games ever. What they do excell at is game engines.
                        I agree, its a shame for those without decent internet access to be excluded from the wonderful world of free user made mods, and tens of thousands of low ping servers running continuously. The greatest thing about quake is its ease of being modified to change the game to create a whole new game. Which allows any above average coder the opportunity to make his own 'sport' within the game by himself!.

And without a doubt, judgeing a multi-player game on its single player aspect will leave anyone bitter.

Comment

Mr z, my normal schedule (on vacation until tomorrow so the last two weeks don't count) doesn't give me much time for on line gaming. What is your opinion of the best single player games available?

Comment

my normal schedule doesn't give me much time for on line gaming.
                            Why not? FPS servers run continuosly 24 hours a day, with no beginning and no end to 'games' Anyone can start at any time, and quit at any time with no lapse in gameplay whatsoever. Its absolutely wonderful.

The reason multiplayer is so extremely intense is because you are actually competing against another human mind, or minds. This adds all the aspects of physical sports, trash talk, intimidation, verbal distraction, persuation, teamwork, cooperation, strategy, diversion, and so on. All things that bots don't really respond to at all.

But if I had to suggest a single player game, I'd say go find any racing game that suits what you might like to play. I can imagine GTA3 is a great single player game with hours and hours of potential game time. The poor AI found in FPS games can tide you over for a period of time, but after a short while you will get good enough and the game will become tiresome and repetetive, because lets face it, no coder can write something that compares with the thoughts and decisions of a human mind.

Doom3 will be marketed as a single player game, however we all know that iD has made it easy for the modders to make their mods, and then poof, we will have the #1 multiplayer game almost literally overnight. So Doom3 will provide you with 15-20 hours of single player game time. But after that you will just have the 'beat it faster' aspect. Not that those 20 hours won't be pretty damn nerve racking, but once its over, its over.

Quake1 and Quake2 were also sold as single player games, but their mods are still currently played tens of thousands of hours each week online. And they are 7 and 5 years old, respectivly. The only other 3-D type game with this devote of followers is a game called Interstate 76 (which is a racing/demolition type game), I personally thought the game sucked, but it has had one hell of an online following.

Comment

About Doom3:

"The most significant change from previews FPS games in order to achieve the unique DOOM III atmosphere is the brand new lighting system. Shadows are calculated for each pixel of the scene, meaning that lights and darkness are extremely important parts of the set. In many parts, already previewed, of the game the mood is set by such effects as flashing lights about to go out. The significance of the lighting in the game can only be explained through the comments of those who have actually witnessed it. According to most, it is hard to remember that this is a game and not a high-budget movie." /megagames.com

LoL sound nice does'nt it...?

:lips:

Comment

Screens:

Comment

Working...
                                X