Unreal Tournament on crack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You just need a refresh rate fixer.

with vsync off, the frames arent being syncronised to your monitor hence the tearing and other weird shiz that is happening. The fact you have an LCD shouldnt affect it, or perhaps not. Im not sure with LCD screens, the ones ive used have been ****ty quality and wouldnt do 1024x768 at any res over 60. Bad for the eyes.
    Anyway, get the refresh rate fix tool (google it if you cant find one at guru3d.com) and fix your drivers. Put vsync back on and play UT with each frame in sync with your refresh rate. You shouldnt get any tearing or other weirdness. (unless your particular LCD cant do very good refresh rates at high resolutions.....and quite a few cant)

Back to AA, I fired up UT today with it on and my frames dropped significantly. Ive got a ****ty GF4MX, so that may be why, but it seems the UT engine doesnt like the high-end AA method(s) employed by the Geforce cards. Still played smoothly, just a good 40 or so frames slower than my normal 85fps. Image quality wasnt really that outstanding either, might be wise to abandon AA altogether.

Comment

ok good that may be an idea to abandon AA. As for LCD I don't have one I have a CRT monitor. Hopefully epic games will fix this problem with there later versions of these games. IE Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal 2

Comment

Hey respawn demon are you using the UT compressed textures when running OGL? I have an NVIDIA product and didn't like the OGL setting with it.........too many hot spots............and dark.

Comment

compressed textures? Hmm.... I don't remember for sure. I do know that there are certain things that D3D look better and certain things that OGL look better. All in all I prefere D3D cause its more stable. and like you said to many hot spots. Like the line following your cursor in the GUI. Or the lines right by your frag number.

Comment

Yeah you have to get the compressed textures off of Disk 2 of the reatail version of UT G.O.T.Y., and then overwrite the existing textures with the "high res" ones. You need to install a new opengl.dll too and make some .ini changes. I still didn't like the result though. Go to http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/UTFAQ/index.shtml#I've2 ...........it explains what I am talking about.

Comment

alright I'll take a look at this

Comment

Hey RD,

That last site I gave you has a bad link to the new .dll that you will need. Here is another site that explains it better and even has some photos of the "high res" textures. Also has a good .dll link to download.

: peace2:

Comment

ok I'll definitly start crackin on it. Does it fix the crackling sound? Cause that really is my only problem. I have no problem with the visual looks of D3D. In fact if anything d3d is more advanced and slowly taking opengl's place. Once it matures a little more that is.

Comment

I have never had a crackling sound problem soooooooo I don't know if that will fix it. I just read about you guys fooling with opengl and I thought that I would post so that you could get the "supposed" max benefit from this type of rendering. I personally would rather use D3D too. Just thought some of you guys might be interested.

Comment

Here is a SS showing the difference between OGL with high res textures and D3D.......

: peace2:

Comment

I take that back...........I did have some sound problems once waaaaaaaaaaay back when I first started playing UT. This might sound a little trivial but I used to get terrible sound anomolies (including cracks and pops) whenever I had the "use hardware 3d sound" and "use surround" enabled. Might be worth a shot if you have them enabled. You can find them from the UT desktop under options>preferences>..........That is the only sound problem that I have ever had. I disabled them and that fixed it.

:thumb:

Comment

increase (or decrease) your latency for sound as well.

(from UTConsole, type 'preferences')

D3D stable?
                          stable?

Son, you crack me up.

my bad for assuming you had an LCD monitor. Thats what i get for not paying attention. :)

Comment

Anyway, get the refresh rate fix tool

This little tool really helped with my refresh rate problem. I was locked into 60mhz by XP, despite my GE4 4400 NVIDIA. Download this snazzy little tool, but be careful you don't blow your monitor up.:flames: ....in other words, don't set the rate higher than your monitor will allow at your resolution.

We offer IT solutions for business users. If you have a business and require solutions which are IT Business ready we are your IT support team.

Comment

Working...
                            X