No announcement yet.

Doom III Poster @ E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the first game I played multiplayer was warcraft II, or maybe it was descent...:)

Comment

Descent for me... that game was awesome!
      me thinks ill have to get a copy of descent 3 and the freespace series...

hey ive got a question... was descent or quake the very first true 3d games made?
      (dont say doom was cos all the enemys were sprites! plus it sucked ass!)

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
        At least iD are going to release the engine to other developers again, remember, even though Quake II might have "sucked" to you Tweaky, we wouldn't have Half-Life if it wasn't for Quake II :)
        Actually, its Quake, not Quake2 that spawned Half-Life.
        and its not "iD", its just plain old id. Lowercase all the way, but if you chuck in the software part of it- capital S.
        :)

There was a project once (maybe still, i cant for the life of me remember what/where it was) that was going to introduce a proper modelling system to Quake2. Threewave CTF for Q2 was awesome on a LAN, but the lack of decent model animations made it incredibly easy to get lame kills or just make it look like your playing doom all over again. (ie- move & shoot at same time and you 'slide' instead of walk....urgh)

Checkout www.gamesmarket.com.au Tweak- they will definatly have Quake for under 20buks.

As for Quake being the first computer game that introduced models- I think it might of been. The technology wasnt new however, but I seem to recall id being the first to implement it in a game & using biped models. Might be best to look it up however.

Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by heretic
          Descent for me... that game was awesome!
          me thinks ill have to get a copy of descent 3 and the freespace series...

hey ive got a question... was descent or quake the very first true 3d games made?
          (dont say doom was cos all the enemys were sprites! plus it sucked ass!)
          Descent was the first true 3d game.....many people will say Wold2d, but that was only 2.5d. You couldn't look up and down....:D

Comment

Originally posted by Bahamut Zer0
            Actually, its Quake, not Quake2 that spawned Half-Life.
            and its not "iD", its just plain old id. Lowercase all the way, but if you chuck in the software part of it- capital S.

Doesn't matter BZ, we both know that UT is a better game than Quake :laugh:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

makes three of us.. ;)

Comment

Any GF3 will work, and any GF4 with GF3 capabilities will work also. Which means the GF4 MX will not.

There is a slight chance that id will add a mode for GF2's and weaker, somewhat similar to 'software' mode for you who aren't complete newbs. There won't be dynamic lighting, or other similar feature which are extremely demanding. They have not announced this, and it is only a hunch by myself, but I personally hope they REQUIRE GF3 or better, bar none. These types of modes are prone to undetectable modes of cheating.

Someone started to say, when the GF3 came out first, (in a Mac) Mac held a convention (duh, nothing else exciting for them to present) and asked Carmack to show them what the GF3 could do. He grabbed a few chunks or D3 code and showed a few demos featureing dynamic lighting. He announced that a GF3 would be the minimum needed to play, and all the stupid fools got pissed because they didn't relize that GF3's would be TWO generations out of date by the time the game was released.

We will likely see the GF5 before D3.

Doesn't matter BZ, we both know that UT is a better game than Quake -Albinus
                No offense, but you played against bots for 30 minutes without realizing they weren't people? We all see the skill level you're coming from. This isn't an attack, everyone has to start somewhere, but is an attempt to show how suited for commenting on games you are. Once you get good, no bots are substitutes for humans. NOT even close.

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                  No offense, but you played against bots for 30 minutes without realizing they weren't people? We all see the skill level you're coming from. This isn't an attack, everyone has to start somewhere, but is an attempt to show how suited for commenting on games you are. Once you get good, no bots are substitutes for humans. NOT even close.
                  That's pretty harsh. I'm gonna go with Al on this one. The UT bots are honestly the best bots I've ever had the joy to play against. The skill range that they have is exceptional, and they can seriously get close to erratic human play. Sure, they never will be like humans, but it's good to see something close, unlike most other AI in FPS games. And I can't say I've ever seen ANYONE beat Xan (final boss-type person) on the hardest difficulty in UT. So it doesn't matter how good you are..

And as for D3.. well, it's due out the last half of next year, so by that time everyone will be using Parhelia 2's or Geforce 6's... :)

Comment

Sure, they never will be like humans
                    Harsh? No. Your quote is all I'm saying.

AI is so un-godly far from being human, and given that we have this new thing called 'The Internet' you can play against other humans on any game 24 hours a day.

So: WHY play against BOTS?

It is nothing more than MEMORIZING how the code reacts to certain situations. That isn't skill... ... using a double fake on a friend to get behind him where he's vulnerable IS skill.

Comment

Sigh, the last half of the paragraph you quoted me on came out wrong. There are a few inferred 'you's that was not towards Al that sound like they are.

After the second sentance I meant the comments as a general rule of thumb, not 'you' as if I was still talking to Albinus. My bad.

Comment

I think youve missed what was implied- bots in q3a were so stupid it wasnt funny. Well, actually- it was. :)
                        Anyway, if the q3a bot programmer is indeed creating the AI for Doom3, well, may god have mercy on our souls.

Al's comments about UT bots being very humanlike were just that- comments. Not everyone has time to play a game online, nor does everyone have a phat cable connection, so those of us with 56k enjoy bot matches over online games with pings of 400 or more ms.

Anyway, lets see you memorise bot reactions in a 16v16 CTF bot match.

Ive beaten Xan on hardest difficulty. By no means skill-related, purely by luck. :)
                        oh and a shock-rifle and a helluva lotta armour

Comment

That's the big factor here I think: Internet connections. I just don't bother playing online at the moment because my 56k connections is pitiful. It's not worth my time and effort. you guys play against people all the time, so bots, in your opinions, are no comparison. The only time I play multiplayer is usually at LANs, where there are a mix of bots and people, and it's from this that I like the UT bot so much. But anyways....

Nice work Bahamut.. I almost managed to beat Xan on the hardest level, but he kept whoopin my ass just as I was about to win.. :)

Comment

Anyway, lets see you memorise bot reactions in a 16v16 CTF bot match.
                            I think youve missed what was implied- bots in q3a were so stupid it wasnt funny. Well, actually- it was.
                            Actually, my point was, that stupid or not, BOTs have nothing to do with Q3. Q3 is a platform to compete with other humans, the bots were an afterthought for modemers and people without the wits to connect to a server.

And as far as UT bots being smart? Please. I enjoyed UT bots for a few hours, I had a level full of two CTF teams, and I realized I could sneak into the enemy base, drop my teleporter near the flag, grab the flag and take it somewhere obscure... teleport back to near the flag area (which causes you to drop the flag) hide out for a little while and grab some health, and when the dolts of bots found the flag, I was right there to snag it and run all the way back home. HAhahah. Every bot that had seen me came after me, and so when they found the flag there was noone left in my escape route. They do it every time, no matter the score. Perfectly predictable.

That's the big factor here I think: Internet connections. I just don't bother playing online at the moment because my 56k connections is pitiful. It's not worth my time and effort. you guys play against people all the time, so bots, in your opinions, are no comparison. The only time I play multiplayer is usually at LANs, where there are a mix of bots and people, and it's from this that I like the UT bot so much. But anyways....
                            Yes! You get my jist, GJ !

I can see how single player can pass the time, but Human counterparts in a good multi-player game make playing so much more in comparrison.

Comment

I think that gaming is the same as sex, it's much better when there is another person involved.

Quake III is a game that is made for fast action human vs. human play. If you want to play a game where you have to work to develop skill to be at all effective, you should play Quake III. In Unreal Tournament, skill takes a backseat to trickery and sneaking about. It's fun to play for a while, but doesn't have near the intensity of Quake III.

Comment

Working...
                              X