The stupidest PC thing you've been told

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daedalus
    well....once, someone said to me that macs were better then PC's....that's probably the stupidest thing i've ever been told

Correction........what you just said is the stupidest thing i've heard.........

Comment

When Best Buy employees come over to bother me, I ask them simple questions to make them think they are doing their job, (and if at all possible to help them realize how incapable they are of it)

"Can I help you sir?"

"Yea, Can you tell me if DVD Drives are also able to read CDs?"

{pause}

"Well, lets see... {pause} Boy thats a pretty important question! {laughs}.. Here, let me get Brian"

----

"Why are monitors so much more expensive than TVs?"

"The main reason is because you have to be able to connect monitors to computers."

"Oh.... Thanks"

----

"What do you know about this minature optical mouse here? I have some young cousins with small hands. I know it is part of the laptop accessories isle, but do you know if this mouse can be used with a normal desktop computer?"

"I'm afraid not sir. See on the box? It says 'For Use With Laptops' "

"Aww thats too bad... Ok, Thanks anyways "

=======

Sure, most of the time they answer correctly, but mistakes like these (even rare ones) are pathetic.

Comment

Agreed, the state of the knowledge of sales staff in most stores leaves a lot to be desired.

But retail is a pretty tough business for a lot of different reasons.
        And for what most stores pay floor personnel, it's not likely that any electronic engineers are going to apply for the job unless they are in dire straits.

Occasionaly you do run across sales personnel that are "in the know" and it is like a breath of fresh air compared to the typical experience.

A consumers best bet is to be as informed and knowledgable about a product as possible before going to purchase it.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
          Mr. C[/size]]
          Occasionaly you do run across sales personnel that are "in the know" and it is like a breath of fresh air compared to the typical experience.
          Mmmmm...............
          Yet to come across one of those rare finds. :?:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Probably the best one I was told was not long after getting into computer hardware around Christmas 1997. The salesman said "This S3 ViRGE has 98% of the 3D speed of the Diamond Monster 3D" (which was a 3dfx Voodoo for those hardware n00bs here) ;)

I didn't have enough $$$ for the Voodoo so I got a Voodoo Rush instead... that was a mistake :cry:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Well there was plenty of others around at the time that joined ya there. :smokin:

Comment

Hate to burst your bubble here, but there are quite a lot of poor home PC users that don't want to know about the way a comp works, I am included in this group, no training is given on how to set up the "pride and joy" and if really stupid questions are asked about the "thingo" or the "whatsimacallit" please be a little patient, as I am sure there wil be something in your life eventually that you will want to own but have no interest in knowing the ins and outs of, just wanting to enjoy the new "toy" knowing someone out there will be more than willing to extoll the great knowledge they have on its ins and outs........... I am lucky as I have a couple here who are willing to play with the PC til they get it right, so every now and again please think, not all ppl are going to be interested in this "hobby" that gives you such great pleasure in following, and occassionally have a little patience with us "dumb arses"
                :kay: : peace:

Comment

"OUCH" I'm reading in between the lines there.

Comment

Yes and no, I just don't want everyone to get big headed just because they know more than maybe 60-80% of the rest of us

Comment

Yep "thingo's" and "whatsimacallit's" plus other silly words are very discriptive terms that others will know exactly what's meant :rolleyes2

Comment

lol @ Wiggo....as funny as it seems....He's right uno...:p

Comment

So your telling me as soon as u opened up your case, you knew what everything was called that was contained in it??

I don't think so buddy:rolleyes2

Comment

But we don't get anywhere near the inside of it, that's just whatevers on the screen. :(

Comment

Here have another one

Comment

**runs in and grabs the drink**
                                Why thankyou! How kind, mmmm....rum and coke, how did you know my drink?

:smokin:

Comment

Working...
                                X