Help? Generic Video Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help? Generic Video Card?

Hello. I was hoping someone could give me some advice...

I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 98 onto a PC for a non-profit agency as volunteer work. Everything works fine, with the exception of the video card. I do not know the manufacturer or model of the card, and the agency does not have the installation media or manuals. Therefore, the display is stuck at 640x480 and 16 colors. Is there a generic driver I can download to raise this to 800x600 at 256 colors?

This PC will be used only for data entry, so nothing too fancy is required. We need 800x600 for the data entry screens though, but the color upgrade would be a "luxury".

Thanks to anyone who can be of any help !!

Would it be possible to take a couple of pictures of this card and post them here? Make sure that you try to get clear shots of the chips on the card and we may be able to help you identify the brand/chipset and get some decent drivers for you. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera, so I will have to take a few snapshots of the card, develop them, and then scan them.

In the mean time, are there any generic drivers that I can use?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

look on the video chip itself...you may have to remove the heatsink if there is one - it should at least tell you the manufacturer or maybe even the model. Any little bit of info would help.

If it's an nvidia - the 368 Det's have a good chance of working with nearly anything.

as far as generic drivers go - that's really what you're using now to get your 640x480x16 :(

Comment

Doesn't your initial boot screen tell you anything about the video card? :?:
          If it flashes past to quick use the "Pause" key on the keyboard to freeze it. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
            Doesn't your initial boot screen tell you anything about the video card? :?:
            If it flashes past to quick use the "Pause" key on the keyboard to freeze it. ;)
            I know most ATi cards don't show the video bios on boot up - I don't think i740 does either
            most nVidia cards do though....

Comment

Never had an ATi or Intel card but have had plenty of others that all showed at boot but it would narrow things do some what. :smokin:

Comment

Working...
              X