tell me if this is true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me if this is true

i came across this article that said it was possible to o'c a 9500 non-pro into a 9700 non-pro, it seems like www.overclockers.ru and riva tuners creators deserve the credit for this . The basis is this...
    on the r900 chip u are able to do some, very skillful work which involves a detailed process, that will eventually set the 4 other pipelines open, user ending up with 8 of'em. Then u can use the Warp11 bios' which i found on www.3dchipset.com to enable overclocking for core and mem clocks.
    but don't be thrilled, u really have to be very good at what u do, is my final impression of this process or u will end up :(
    btw is there a simple, effective way to cool video ram chips that u know of?
    Thnx and gd lck

yep heard of the oc'ing and unlocking the piplelines before, bit of a risk if it dont work though.
    Best thing for your RAM would be a couple of ram sinks, copper preferably

Comment

it can be done, i just got done doing it 5 minutes ago, its not risky if your doing the softmod, because it is undoable as long as you save your hold settings. when you buy a 9500 its about a 50/50 chance the one you get will do the conversion.

Comment

i think u have to have a 9500 on a 9700 pcb, whatever that means... and u can even open the extra 128 bit mem bandwidth, reaching 256 just like the 9700. 8 pixel shaders, 256 bit mem, all for 160-170 bucks... wow

Comment

If you get a 128MB 9500np on a 9700 PCB - the 256bit memory bus is already functional - there is no enabling/disabling possible, it just doesn't impact performance unless the extra GPU pipelines are enabled
          if you get a 64MB 9500np on a 9700 PCB - only half the memory bus is used, so you get the equivalent of a 128bit memory bus.

I would estimate it works on about 3 out of 4 9500np's - although the versions built on the 9700 PCB's are becoming more scarce now - some of the modded cards have artifact problems, but in some cases that can be corrected by underclocking/disabling fastwrites/reducing the AGP to 4X/flashing the bios
          :2cents:

Comment

RDR, it sez in this article that the video card needed, a 128 mb 9500 non-pro on 9700 pcb also have this L shaped video rams installed. 2 above and 2 to the side of the graphics processor.

Do u also mean that 3 out of 4 within this range of products mentioned above, will succeed in softmodding.
            why is this?
            and do all cards get artifacts when softmodded?

Comment

Originally posted by ufuk21p
              Do u also mean that 3 out of 4 within this range of products mentioned above, will succeed in softmodding.
              why is this?
              and do all cards get artifacts when softmodded?
              you can softmod any 9500np...however about 1 out 4 will have artifacts, mainly because the 4 dormant pipes were never qualified and may not work properly - defective 9700 chips may also be "binned" down to 9500np's if they meet that criteria.

You can always reverse the softmod if you have problems - & you still have the card you paid for - 9500np's in their stock form are not really the most attractive option though :rolleyes2

also:
              softmodded 9500np 64mb = 9500pro 64MB
              softmodded 9500np 128mb (on a 9700PCB) = 9700np 128Mb
              softmodded 9500np 128mb (on a 9500PCB) = 9500pro 128MB

Comment

Working...
              X