AGP 8x vs. 4x card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP 8x vs. 4x card

Quick question: Can I stick an 8x GeForce Ti4200 in a Asus BH7 motherboard with only a 4x AGP slot or am I going to have a new trophy for the wall o' cooked hardware?

I am 99% sure that you could do that :O) Say you have a 4x AGP card, you can stick it in your mobo, even if your mobo only supports 2x. So then it will just run it at 2x :O) Why bother getting 8x though if your motherboard only supports 4x? A 4x ti4200 card would be significantly cheaper than the 8x you know!

BTW: I was gonna get a ti4200 card, but I decided on this Geforce 3, which is practically the same thing :afro: (Me and my friend benchmarked UT03, and we got about the same FPS; give or take 2 or 3. With my Geforce 3 ti200 128DDR, and his Geforce 4 ti4200 128 DDR!)

Just because something say's Geforce 4 doesn't mean it's good, contrary to popular belief :eek:

Comment

My real question is the voltage difference. The 8x runs at 0.7v or 1.5v and the 4x runs at 1.5v. Will the GF4 Ti4200 run at 1.5v without meltdown?

Comment

So long as the mobo and video card have one common protocol (4x in your case) then ya'll have no probs with it. ;)

Comment

Got my 8x Ti4200 running just fine in a 4x Intel board... and lovin it!

Comment

Thanks, after more searching I found on another website that the Ti4200 supports all three standards.

Thanks again; I knew I would get a good answer out of this forum. Always have, always will.

Comment

I have a Ti 4600 128 4X 1.5v running in an Asus A7N8X 8X support AGP Pro motherboard and lovin it lots it is.

Comment

Working...
              X