? about ATI PCI video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about ATI PCI video card

Okay, my kids have an HP Pavillion 6830 PC w/integrated video and a celeron 700 mhz proc and 64 mb sdram. It has no agp slot:( . It is running Win ME OS. I bought them Motocross Madness 2 and, of course, it won't play on this weak system. So, today I bought them an ATI XPERT 128 PCI video card w/16mb sdram for it. My question(s): Will MCM 2 play on the system after I install the new card? Will I have to disable the onboard video before I can use this PCI card? If so, how? Jumper setting on MoBo? Go into the bios to disable it? And, lastly, will standard 64mb 168 pin pc100 sdram work with this system? Any help at all with these issues will be greatly appreciated by myself and the youngsters at my house! Thanks.

The ram should work. As for the vid card, it depends on the mobo. If it has an i810 chipset (which was common with many Celeron & built in video rigs) then you may not be able to disable the built in video. I didn't even check HP's website to try and find out more about the mobo because in the past I've been frustrated with them not making any info like that available.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I found out that all I have to do is to install the card and the onboard video gets "pushed aside" so to say. Anyway, it worked. Still doesn't play real great, but it beats the way it was before I added the card.

Comment

Really no PCI video card is goin' to cut it out of the office enviroment and quite frankly neither is a Celery 700 but gettin' a 256MB stick of SDRAM and swappin' it for the 64MB stick/s will help that system out a lot and maybe get some acceptable frame rates out of it as basically 128MB should be ya minimum for runnin' MEss. : peace2:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Mercy! I can hardly even see the memory modules, much less add to or replace them! How in the world do you get in there?! Maybe remove the backside panel with the mobo attached? It's kinda a small size case. Lotsa brackets and whatnot. I tweaked the settings in the display and got some of the hiccups out during gameplay but have to run in 256 colors :( . Maybe I'll try a GeForce2 PCI card later on and see if that helps. I know I love my ti4200 that I have in my system. Anyway, thanks for your replys.

Comment

Ya u gotta take the board out still attached out the back way just like u thought, and get the poor kids some more ram(64 is stone age, and thats probably why it is still no good), even another 128 if your broke.
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w