Video Card selection help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card selection help.

Well since I have rescently broke my MSI GF4 Ti4200 128mb. I am looking for a replacement (I sent it into MSI but I dont think they will replace it) I have contacted one resaler to see what version of the card they have. they have the same card with Hynix memory on them. The one I had B4 use Samsung. Are the Hynix good? Or should I spend about $20 more and get the 8x model? Now I am intrested in the new GeForce 4800SE's that they have, are they any good? Dont they use the ti4400 GPU? Im looking towards this card but I dont know if anyone has had good or bad experiences with them. I would like to hear opinons
    my view on the two party system...

Just do what i have just done:
    wake up and go bugger it, i'm buying a 9500 pro, and go spend $500 (give or take $50):2cents:

Comment

oh yes go for the radeon 9500 pro with 128 vram that will keep you going for years. A ti 4200 has just dies with the release of direct x 9.0:devil:

Comment

If you really want to replace your present board with another Nvidia one, then I'd wait if you can.
        In April Nvidia will release the Geforce FX 5600 Ultra, Geforce FX 5200 Ultra, and Geforce FX 5200, all three are based
        on the new FX core and are DirectX9 compatible. They will ultimately replace Nvidia's current Geforce 4ti/MX range.

Comment

Man so the Ti's arent DX9 compatible?! Thnanks I didnt know that.
          I will buy a temporary card for now and probly get one of the FX cards.

Comment

I can still see a few years life left in my GF4 Ti4200 VIVO yet so maybe by then nVIDIA will have worked out their production problems and some software (other than 3DMark03) that supports DX9 maybe available (hell how much DX8 stuff can ya find now?). : peace2:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The radeon 9500 and 9700 are also direct x 9.0 compatible and with rumours flying around that nvidia are only makeing enough fx's for pre order you'd be better off going with ATI. The reason these rumours are going around are there are several reports of terrible heat problems from the card. doesn't look like you'll be able to overclock that card even with that huge noisy fan it has.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeAliOuS
                Man so the Ti's arent DX9 compatible?! Thnanks I didnt know that.
                I will buy a temporary card for now and probly get one of the FX cards.
                ...a good temporary card (if there is such a thing) is the Radeon9100.
                full DX8 and a 128MB 250/250 clock version goes for $91USD right now:thumb:

A bit less perf than a Ti4200...but a lot less $$$'s if you plan on replacing it in the near future

Just check the clocks before you buy - there are some 250/230, 250/200 & 250/184 versions around too

Comment

I still don't understand why everyone is falling over themselves to get a directX9 card when there is not a single game out that supports it. UT2K3 is that only big title that I am aware of that even supports 8.1 and look how long that took. They are still releasing new titles that only require directX7. Even if there were titles for D9, I would think it would be well worth it to "suffer" through software rendering at least long enough for prices to fall to the level of the "common" man's budget. With the pure power in the readily available "budget" cards (i.e. Ti4200) I don't think that I would really notice the difference except in a benchmark.

Just my :2cents:

JM
                  Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Yeah. Im gona stick with NVIDIA. True about the FX. Its huge and produces a lot of heat, but it does kick the radeon 9700pro out the water. They are far tooo expensive though. So I will wait untill the ti's drop in price, if I havent gotten a replacment from MSI yet. I do admit that the radeon 9700pro is tempting, but its just too expensive, maybe if they drop in price, to compete with the FX I might consider getting one.

Comment

Working...
                    X