Video card..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card..?

I'm lookin into investing in a new card for my computer and the hype is over the radeon 9700 but i really duno whats the best one for my cash?:confused:

The NV30 and Ultra 5800 GF FX from nVidia are just about a week away or less(maybe today, havent checked) They are due for the end of the month, so look for them. They will be $300(NV30) to $400 (Ultra 5800) The 5800 may not even br coming out(rumors of it). But if it does it should have a 500/1GHz speed. Thats about 200/300 faster then the ATI9700 PRO level 1. So i say wait a week or two and wait for the cards to come out and then see whats good for your hardearned cash. (i think there is a Pixle View specsheet on the homepage of tweaktown, not sure)
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

depends on how much you want to spend....what's your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
        I'm lookin into investing in a new card for my computer and the hype is over the radeon 9700 but i really duno whats the best one for my cash?:confused:

i'm in the same boat. i want a decent card, but i'm not willing to spend 300-500 for a high end card. most games support directx 8 right now, correct? so with the release of directx 9, it doesn't really matter as long as the card supports directx 8. not sure about the agp issue either. 8x or 4x. my budget is probaly going to 150-200 CAD. i'm going to look into the radeon 9100. probably go w/ a 128MB version. the games i've been playing: max payne, GTA3, Comanche4, USAF

the card will be going in my new system

P4 2.4b
        512MB Mushkin level 2 HP 2-2-2 (single stick, saving for another)
        MSI GNB-MAX
        WD 80GB 8MB cache
        Antec 1080 Plus AMG

any suggestions?

Comment

the Radeon9100 is an excellent card for the money - during gameplay the difference in FPS between an GF4Ti4200 and a good R9100 is really not noticable (I've owned both)...but around here at least the R9100 is about 40% cheaper:thumb:

I just got a Powercolor Radeon9100 128MB OEM clocked at 250/250 for $148 cdn for my brother-in-law....but don't buy the Powercolor 64MB - it's only clocked at 250/184:mad:

If you look at sapphire...the 64 MB version is actually clocked higher - 250/230 vs. 250/200 for the 128MB ....so make sure you do your research before you get one

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
            the Radeon9100 is an excellent card for the money - during gameplay the difference in FPS between an GF4Ti4200 and a good R9100 is really not noticable (I've owned both)...but around here at least the R9100 is about 40% cheaper:thumb:

I just got a Powercolor Radeon9100 128MB OEM clocked at 250/250 for 8 cdn for my brother-in-law....but don't buy the Powercolor 64MB - it's only clocked at 250/184:mad:

If you look at sapphire...the 64 MB version is actually clocked higher - 250/230 vs. 250/200 for the 128MB ....so make sure you do your research before you get one
            where do you get your pc parts from? i live in canada as well.
            i think the small difference in stock speeds that show in fps from a 64 over a 128 are small enough that it shouldn;t make a huge difference. and w/ o/c'g the 128 should be able to catch a stock 64, correct? are these boards agp 8x or 4x?
            also, i have read that nvidia has released a mx 440 w/ agp 8x and support for directx 8.1 features. are there any comparison reviews for these 2 cards?

Comment

the GF4 MX series does not have hardware support for DX8 - it is a limitation of the chip. So anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

I'm the Plant Manager for a medium size mould shop - we're heavily invested in CAD/CAM/CAE applications - so I spend quite a bit on hardware...about $35K cdn last year

I buy about 75% of my hardware here:
              www.elcosystems.com
              I get the reseller (wholesale) prices on in-stock stuff - anything special order is a bit more expensive, I've got a $30K line of credit there & net 30 terms

Base on the clock speeds - If I was buying Sapphire, I'd get the 64MB...but If I was buying Powercolor - I'd definately get the 128MB
              :thumb:

Comment

i checked out the site. they don't display the prices. how do i know what i am going to be paying? also they didn't list the 9100 at all???

Comment

I don't think they have online ordering....I get a pricelist emailed to me 2X a month

My first few orders were by phone - now I deal with my rep. almost exclusively by email

I'm not sure what kind of prices they give to end-users who call them up - but some of the employees here have tried and had a good experience

Comment

you could try here too:
                    www.pccanada.com
                    they do have online ordering & they have the Sapphire 64MB Radeon9100 (250/230 clocks? <- you may want to confrim this) for $124.99 cdn

http://www.pccanada.com/inventory.asp?cat=videocards

there's rumours of these Sapphire 64Mb versions having 4ns (read:OC'able to 250MHz) chips :thumb:

Although I can't vouch personally

they've also got the R9500np 128MB cards that are modable into R9700np's for $249cdn

or the Sapphire R9700np for $349cdn

very good prices :D

NCIX has a 64MB R9100 for $114cdn - but they don't list a mfg'r or the clocks but the vpn# appears to be a Sapphire model number - I wouldn't buy it without confirming that information first

Comment

i can get a ATI (not saphire) 9100 w/ 128MB for $140CAD

Radeon 9100 128M DDR, VGA, DVI, TV-O, AGP4x ( OEM /retail ) $140/

it is from Atic

i am leaning towards a 128MB card. are ATI boards clocked faster than Saphire's?

Comment

Generally I prefer a "built-by-ATi" card to any third party card - my 9700pro is a "built-by" - I think they generally have the least problems.

that being said - I didn't know ATi produced their own 9100's - I've only ever seen 3rd party boards - & their wesite doesn't list it either. My supplier is an ATi partner as well & he doesn't know anything about them.

Call these guys up and ask them what the clocks are - I wouldn't buy any Radeon with out finding out exactly what the clocks are first. ATi has been known to produce OEM cards with lower clocks in the past

Comment

ok, i'll check with the store and see what they say.

thanks for being so helpful!

:cheers:

Comment

The 5800 may not even br coming out(rumors of it). But if it does it should have a 500/1GHz speed. Thats about 200/300 faster then the ATI9700 PRO level 1.
                            What?? Hmmm... I think you should read this article written by John Carmack about the R300 vs the FX - http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/jcnv30r300/ Enjoy..

My advice would be buy a 9700Pro when the R350 comes out, the price will drop quite a bit, then wait for the NV40 in 2004. That's gonna be a kick a$$ card. :)

Comment

Working...
                            X