No announcement yet.

FX vs. 9700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many people have slagged off both ati and nvidia in this forum so all i can say is nyer i have an nvidia ge force 4 and i am gettin a 9500 pro soon so nyer:D
    I'm thinkin of haveing both of them in my rig at the same time ooooh sounds sweet to me.
    And i'm also gonna turn the 9500 into a 9700 with the software hack brill

Comment

Originally posted by rugbydude
      Many people have slagged off both ati and nvidia in this forum so all i can say is nyer i have an nvidia ge force 4 and i am gettin a 9500 pro soon so nyer:D
      I'm thinkin of haveing both of them in my rig at the same time ooooh sounds sweet to me.
      And i'm also gonna turn the 9500 into a 9700 with the software hack brill
      9500pro can't be hacked into a 9700 - it doesn't have a 256bit memory bus

only a 9500 non-pro 128mb produced on a 9700 PCB can be hacked - I know both Sapphires and Powercolor will work - the 256bit memory bus must already be present

a 9500 non-pro 64MB can be hacked into a 9500Pro 64MB

the hack is only to open the 4 disabled pipelines in the 9500 chip - there's nothing you can do about the memory bus

in addition - I would estimate approx. 25-33% of people trying the hack experience a checkerboards pattern video corruption afterward - most likely due to the fact that the 4 pipelines that were originaly disabled either were never qualified or were known to be defective if the chip is a failed/bined 9500pro/9700 chip

in the worst case if the hack doesn't work for you - you are still left with the card you paid for - If you want a guaranteed 9700 card, the only way to be sure is to pay for one

Comment

Further more, you have to make sure the 9500 has it's memory in an L shape like the 9700. 9500's that have memory in a straight line will NOT work.

Comment

Originally posted by negomike
          Further more, you have to make sure the 9500 has it's memory in an L shape like the 9700. 9500's that have memory in a straight line will NOT work.
          ...that's what I said, It must be a 128MB 9500 non pro produced on a 9700 PCB

Comment

oopsy, my bad. Sorry.

PCD styles can be a bit much to remember, I just know to get the 9500 that has ram in an L shape. So if ATI suddenly released a 9500Pro and moved the RAM so it makes an L shape, I'll be SOL.:D

Remeber, for some of us (me) you have to think, :?:stupid:confused:

Comment

Not sure if this is posted elsewhere in this forum, but here are John Carmack's thoughts on the new graphics cards.

The upshot of it is that neither card seems a clear leader.
              My Machine

Comment

I was looking forward to getting FX but now i dont know
                for one im a big overclocker and there is not much room for that with a FX and two alot of people are talking how it underclocks itself do to hight temp's or hight MHZ im just gona wait for the r350 and for latter FX's with some updates to come out

Comment

Ati, has done a great job...keeping their drivers sharp. My friend using the 9700 Pro...has had no problems yet. I own a 4600 and i loved it and still do. So i won;t be buying a card soon. I would love for the R350 to rock just to see the bad boys of V Cards head to head. I think the time for a new V card will be when i replace my mobo and cpu to the new AMD Processor and mobo hopefully coming in soon...that way i have a full power house...
                  so i voted "wait for both".
                  - Damien

Comment

I'm still looking forward to getting that AIW 9700 Pro.. :)

Comment

So you can't turn a 9500 pro into a 9700 but you can turn a standerd into one. I thought they were practically the same except the pro had the full 8 pipe line architecture when the standerd had 4?

Comment

So you can't turn a 9500 pro into a 9700 but you can turn a standerd into one. I thought they were practically the same except the pro had the full 8 pipe line architecture when the standerd had 4?
                        9500pro's are always produced on a 9500pro PCB w/a 128bit mem bus

9500 non pro's may be produced on either a 9500pro PCB or a 9700 PCB

if you get a 128mb 9500 non pro produced on a 9700 PCB - the 256bit mem bus is already present and fully funtional - it just doesn't impact perfromance with only 4 pipelines active in the GPU

...but if you do the softmod to get the full 8 pipelines working - you have a functional 9700

additionally - if you have a 9500non pro 64mb on a 9700 PCB - or if you have a 9500 non pro 128MB/64MB on a 9500pro PCB....doing the softmod will get you a 9500pro

so only the 9500 non pro's are mod-able, what you get afterward depnds on the PCB and quantity of memory

I hope this makes sense

Comment

aaaaaah yes that makes sense. But is it not possible for a 9500 pro to be made on a 9700 pcb? Well i'm looking into a connect 3d 9500 (pro or standerd) from the overclocking store and i'm not sure if the pro or the standerd is based on a 9700 pcb.
                          Well thanx for the info:cheers:

Comment

aaaaaah yes that makes sense. But is it not possible for a 9500 pro to be made on a 9700 pcb? Well i'm looking into a connect 3d 9500 (pro or standerd) from the overclocking store and i'm not sure if the pro or the standerd is based on a 9700 pcb.
                            Well thanx for the info:cheers:
                            if a 9500pro 128mb was made on a 9700PCB - then it would already be a 9700

9500pro = 8 pipelines active
                            9700PCB = 256bit memory

I've never seen or heard of any 9500pro's being made with 9700PCB's - ATi probably won't allow it

on a 9500 np -the extra memory bandwidth doesn't affect performance since it is already limited by having only 4 active pipelines in the GPU - Obviously a 256bit mem bus would seriously affect the performance on an 8 pipeline 9500pro

also - if you plan on getting a 9500np 128mb and modding to a 9700 - there's no guarantee it will work

the extra 4 piplines on the GPU either haven't been tested or are known to be defective....I would estimate probably 25-33% of the modded 9500np's have some problems - some of the problems can be solved by improving cooling/increasing GPU core voltage/decreasing AGP to 4X/disabling fast writes & sideband addressing...but there's still no guarantee.

I've been doing a little research myself - a local vendor has Sapphire 9500 128mb's on 9700 PCB's for $150US & I may decide to give it a try

Comment

bulletpc.com
                              is selling a Pre-modded 9500 to a 9700 pro for $200 with a 30 day warranty.

http://www.bulletpc.com/Qstore/p000293.htm

Comment

I have the 9700Pro, but will probably buy a GeforceFX in the near future. Why? Nvidia's driver support in linux is 900 times better. I do not want to wait another couple of months for ATI to make minimal improvements to their drivers. ARGH!!! i love the card, just not the software. :mad:

Comment

Working...
                                X