Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
    Thanks for that info...doesn't look good :(

Looks like we'll all need headphones for gaming, just like nvidia suggested before...
    Maybe, bye-bye surround sound gaming :wave: :no:
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Damm That sucks I was hoping that it would be released with a better cooling system.
      looks like my vote has changed.
      I hate noise

Comment

In nVidia's defence, we all have to remember CG and how the GeForce FX is optimised for it.

Programmers haven't had a chance to release any CG enhanced games yet - remember Dawn? This was produced using CG.

So when CG shows its face a little more, the GeForce FX may prove a little better.
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Yep ATI have had months of driver development.
          Im not giving up yet :)

Comment

When I first heard about the FX, I was thinking that it was going to blow the 9700 Pro out of the water, like the 9700 did to the GF4 before that... However, now that there are some pre-release benchmarks, I'm not so enthused anymore. Sure, it'll still be a great card, be the top performer, but not by much.

I'll probably change my opinion once the card is publicly released, and DirectX 9 support actually means something, but until then I'm looking forward to getting an AIW Radeon 9700 Pro... if / when that happens.

Comment

I'll take either or both if someone wants to donate but a GF4 TI4200 is more than enough for me. :devil win
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

hey i got a question today i noticed thease "ATI-OEM (SAPPHIRE) RADEON" at my local pc store site can any one tell me what does the Sapphire mean?? i know its an OEM card but... sapphire what the hell is that supposed to be a stone version of the card? :rolleyes: thanks

Comment

"A clear hard variety of corundum used as a gemstone that is usually blue but may be any color except red."
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Hmmm...

I think I am choosing between waiting for Both or buy an 9500 and modding it to a 9700 and maybe then to a firegl

Seems pretty sweet.

If do-able I think a FireGL cost over a grand. Haven't looked it up or anything cause I'm a lazy a@@.

However, being a newbie, I have never done a major electrical mod.

Dito with system software. So I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off.

This will be the first system I have ever built.

Maybe that should also be an option in the poll?
                    9500 mod into 9700 / FirceGL

I don't know. I'll leave it up to Mr. Tweak's discretion.

-
                    The FireGL costs exactly $749.00 at NewEgg.

I don't know if I want to put off building this computer for another 60 days. I've been putting this off for years. I almost pre-ordered the Prahelia.
                    :eek:

Comment

Here's another funny pic, this one from nV News... :laugh:
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I think everyone should wait at least another month to see what third party companies come up with before making a judgment on the GeForce FX - don't loose sight of the fact that the 5 or 6 online reviews we have seen to date are of a reference design, and like always - third party go ahead and improve on it to compete with other companies doing the exact same thing. And not just performance-wise this time, cooling as is the clear case with the GeForce FX - and let me assure you, after talking to many third party companies today, they are all just as concerned with the noise related issues as you and I, and are all working hard to come up with more noise-tolerable solutions.

I tend to agree with the latest post made over at nV News by Typedef Enum saying that many websites hyped the NV30 so much (we are probably even guilty of it) that everyone was expecting the McLaren F1 of video cards, and obviously it did not happen and it seems the entire tech community is suddenly bitter towards nVidia for it. Let me lay it on the line for you all - nVidia had the lead over ATI and any other GPU maker on the market and have enjoyed much industry support for the past 4 or 5 years. Now watch ATI soak it all up for 2003 and possibly beyond, as they should, while nVidia sit back and scratch their heads for an answer. This is the key reason we've seen companies such as Gigabyte and Creative switch to ATI - they aren't stupid by any means, they know ATI and their future plans and goals. Hell, if anything it makes things better for as both companies compete to be king – let’s just sit back and soak it up ourselves.

There comes a point in time where frames per second, are just that - simple frames per second. They've gotten so high now that there is no need seeing anything faster, at least in my opinion. Instead of looking for an outright speed king, why don't some of you folks enjoy more of the eye candy on offer and let the truly talented programmers of our world blow us away some more with unprecedented life-like detail instead of worrying about how high your 3DMark 2001 SE score is. Seriously guys, Dawn (the sexy nVidia elf chick) was just a start - wait till programmers and developers around the world make use of CG (ATI will also support it in their R350) and continue to perfect their art and we'll be back to seeing frame rates back in the 60-80 range, as told to us by nVidia - then and only then, will frames rates matter and come back into play like they've mattered so much over the past few years.

Frames per second are only those guys, so remember it. Why drive your car at such extreme speeds that you miss the beautiful scenery on the side of the road?
                        Managing Director
                        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Nice post T. Basically the big version of what I said earlier. But I am gonna comment on some of the stuff you said.

The hype of a new card, no matter who the publisher, is always going to be huge. It happened with the Radeons, it happened with the whole GeForce range, it even happened with the Parhelia. People expect that new cards will give them something great and new, not just a re-hash of an existing product. That's why the companies provide demonstrations of what their product can do, way before they are released. Unfortunately, not many can live up to that hype. Everyone expected the FX to be a clear winner in the video card field, and were very disappointed when the facts and figures came out showing it's performance / problems.

Sure, there is a lot in store in the future for the card, with all the features that people don't really pay attention to, but the initial impression will always be the most important. People want to see what the card can do for them now, not what it could possibly do for them 12 months into the future. Due to the huge turn-over rate of current hardware, people need results now. No point buying a card that performs about the same as current stock, and has some nice features that will be supported sometime down the track. By that time, the new Radeon will be out, and possibly even the new nVidia offering.

People look at frame rates as a simple way of comparing two different cards. Most of them don't care if it supports DX9.1, or has 400 vertex shaders, they simply wanna see the card in action and what it can do and, more importantly, if it is better than the competition. The 9700 Pro did a damn fine job of this over the GF4, but the FX just peeks it's nose in front of the Radeon, which people didn't expect. The media promised us a miracle, and we only got a little dribble.

You basically boil your point down to FPS vs quality, but it should be FPS + Quality = great gaming. People do want faster frames, but they also want ALL the great effects to be present. Hence AA + AF being present. Hence higher resolutions. This is what people want. Something that looks damn fine and can keep up with the pace required frame-wise.

You drive a car at extreme speeds so you can see MORE great scenery. It may flash by in an instant, but you'll get many more of these great instants to remember....

< /rant>

Comment

I look at it this way. It was only late last year when I got my first DX8 capable video card but what software has need of it today? Not many at all so why should I jump again to a DX9 video card now or even next year? :?:

Comment

I guess companies should work harder with developers and programmers to have the games and applications ready before they launch their products...
                              Managing Director
                              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                                I look at it this way. It was only late last year when I got my first DX8 capable video card but what software has need of it today? Not many at all so why should I jump again to a DX9 video card now or even next year? :?:
                                My point exactly.

Companies can't really work too well on a system that's not complete, and when it is complete then you need some time to trailblaze the system and figure out exactly what it can and can't do. That's what takes time. Also, in the gaming field especially, companies can't afford to make games tailored to the high end machines and hardware out there. They need to make this customisable, which takes away any chance of getting a top notch product out straight away.

Comment

Working...
                                X