Quadro FX vs. Geforce FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quadro FX vs. Geforce FX

Is the Quadro FX a better version of the GeForce FX video card? Anybody knowany details on this? I'm kind of lost at the moment.

Ok I took the spaces out of ya sig code to get rid of the added space. ;)

The Quadro is the highend workstation video card and is not meant for gamin' but for CAD/CAM and other uses requirin' better quality definition (the cost just may kill ya also).
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yep Quadro are Graphic work station cards and worth about $2000AUD.
      They are designed with image quality not so much speed.
      So They arnt great gamers.
      the standard FX will do you fine :laugh:

Comment

So there is a difference in hardware not just software.

Do you mean there is a difference in the video out put ie RAMDAC (I use one word of tech speak I know over and over!)

Could you explain more? It's not that I'm going to mortgage my home and buy one, it's more curiosity.

Thanks,
        yet another somewhat annoying noowbie,
        Michael

I need a sig.
        :bounce:

Comment

Originally posted by negomike
          So there is a difference in hardware not just software.

Do you mean there is a difference in the video out put ie RAMDAC (I use one word of tech speak I know over and over!)

Could you explain more? It's not that I'm going to mortgage my home and buy one, it's more curiosity.

Thanks,
          yet another somewhat annoying noowbie,
          Michael

I need a sig.
          I don't know HOW they do it, but yes I believe you are right, there are subtle differences in hardware. We use both Geforce and Quadro level boards. The Quadro level boards produce better visual image quality and more accurate overlapping tris. Only the highest end quadros are equal and better in physical speed than the high end Geforce.... the biggest difference is $1800 vs $400 for the Quadro4-950 vs the Geforce4-4600 when they came out. is $1200 worth about 10% extra speed for a gamer?

you'd probably do better speed wise putting that $1200 into the rest of your graphics hardware, high speed disks, best CPU, etc.

Comment

QUOTE]Originally posted by SamuraiCatJB [/QUOTE]

I don't know HOW they do it

Does anyone?

you'd probably do better speed wise putting that $1200 into the rest of your graphics hardware, high speed disks, best CPU, etc.

Oh, I have *no* intention of mortgaging my soul and buying a Quadro. :D

We use both Geforce and Quadro level boards

Do the look the same, aside from the heatsink/fan's?

The Quadro level boards produce better visual image quality and more accurate overlapping tris.

What are tris?

I think i read somewhere that there was either speculation or confirmed knowledge that the GeForce and Quadro cards are the same, but have drivers optimized for their respective duties.

Can you load Quadro drivers onto and get the same results? In the same place I believe that nVidia put stuff in their software to make it harder to do.

I’ll look around a bit and see if I find any more info,

(I like this bouncing smiley or haven't you noticed)

Comment

Originally posted by negomike

What are tris?

I think i read somewhere that there was either speculation or confirmed knowledge that the GeForce and Quadro cards are the same, but have drivers optimized for their respective duties.

Can you load Quadro drivers onto and get the same results? In the same place I believe that nVidia put stuff in their software to make it harder to do.

I’ll look around a bit and see if I find any more info,

(I like this bouncing smiley or haven't you noticed)
              well, we load the same drives for both, always the Nvidia drivers. It gives us a constant, no matter which Nvidia card you can afford, we load the same drivers to run our software. :)

Tri's (when I type fast I forget punctuation) are Triangles. :) bad habit from talking to 3D folks. :) Quadros give fewer errors with large numbers of triangles in near proximity, but I can't tell you why or how to make a geforce into a quadro. They look close to the same, though our Geforces came from Asus and and our Quadros from PNY it looked like a Geforce4, sturdier construction, finer details, better paint job. ;) I am just a programmer. :thumb:

Comment

I'm not a big gamer, the only computer games that I own, and have EVER bought... are the Myst series. I'm not worried about speed, what I DO use my computer for is graphic and 3d design. Photoshop7, 3DStudioMax, Maya, etc. so it looks like the quadro card might be the better choice for me... however, how much does the price usually drop on the quadro cards? If I'm looking at getting something that is a lot better for my purposes and it is something like a... $500 vs. $700 or $800, maybe I should just wait a few months, and get the quadro fx... but if the prices don't drop that much, there's no way i'm spending more than a grand for a video card. Unless it's just.............. really a lot more amazing.......

Comment

Also--thanks for removing those spaces, I'm not sure how that happened. I was wondering about that.

Comment

Originally posted by enhancedstudios
                    I'm not a big gamer, the only computer games that I own, and have EVER bought... are the Myst series. I'm not worried about speed, what I DO use my computer for is graphic and 3d design. Photoshop7, 3DStudioMax, Maya, etc. so it looks like the quadro card might be the better choice for me... however, how much does the price usually drop on the quadro cards? If I'm looking at getting something that is a lot better for my purposes and it is something like a... 0 vs. 0 or 0, maybe I should just wait a few months, and get the quadro fx... but if the prices don't drop that much, there's no way i'm spending more than a grand for a video card. Unless it's just.............. really a lot more amazing.......
                    it depends on what you are looking for.... our VIP displays use Quadro-900's($1800 list, $1250 for us), our Quadro-750's were under a grand, but I never saw the purchase order since it was rushed through so fast I can't tell you how much we paid, under $600 I think.

if you look on the net you will find Quadro4's still around, the 900 introduced at $1800 and the Geforce4 at $400, you can see what both are down to.

It looks like QuadroFX's will be introduced with two models models 1000 and 2000, chances are the prices will be a couple hundred away from their model numbers. :D

our draftsmen use Geforce3 & 4's, and my office uses geforce4's, soon GeforceFX if I get my way. :D for myself I would never pay for a Quadro, but we have people who still prefer them. :)

Comment

Also if ya get a Quadro then you'd want a bloody good monitor to go with it for the best results (capable of high refresh rates). ;)

Comment

are the Quadro boards similare to an AGP PRO board? I used to run a mobo that had an agp pro slot and i have never seen an agppro card tho I know they are for highend graphics:confused:

Comment

Yes these cards are AGP Pro as they require extra power that is pasted thru the extra pins. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiCatJB
                            it depends on what you are looking for.... our VIP displays use Quadro-900's(00 list, 50 for us), our Quadro-750's were under a grand, but I never saw the purchase order since it was rushed through so fast I can't tell you how much we paid, under 0 I think.

if you look on the net you will find Quadro4's still around, the 900 introduced at 00 and the Geforce4 at 0, you can see what both are down to.

It looks like QuadroFX's will be introduced with two models models 1000 and 2000, chances are the prices will be a couple hundred away from their model numbers. :D

our draftsmen use Geforce3 & 4's, and my office uses geforce4's, soon GeforceFX if I get my way. :D for myself I would never pay for a Quadro, but we have people who still prefer them. :)
                            most of our CAD stations at work are the same ...GF4's - there's such a minor difference in IQ between a Quadro and the corrosponding GF (for what we are doing) that I can't justify the price difference

although the prices have come down a lot - I can get a 900XGL for a bit over $800cdn now (~$500usd) - but a GF4ti4200 is only $220cdn

besides if you want the best ...get a Wildcat - the Wildcat 4 7210 w/384mb of ram is ~$3800cdn :D

Comment

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1042578447

At this link they talk about modding a 9500/9700 be unsoldering/resodering resistors. The turn a 9500 into a 9700 and then into a FireGL (the ATI Quadro equivalent)

At least as far as I understand, by changing the resistors all they are doing is changin the ID code on the chip, and thus load different drivers.

Between pro and normal cards there may be a difference in RAMDECs and other components but the chip is the same. From various sources I have gathered that it is not worth the money in general for the slight performance increase one gets from a pro card.

The big advantage is being able to drive monitors at much high resolutions. I think the Quadro FX's max is something like 3000 x 2000. I doubt anyone here has a monitor that can run that high.

It would probably actually cost more then the card. ;)

I have been told by multiple 3D professions on separate occasions that it is better to get a high end consumer card then a low end "pro" card. And also in some guides to building a 3D workstation, I just can’t seem to find ‘em again. So unless you need the very high resolutions, which I am not even sure the low end pro cards support.

Don't go pro. If you want to spend that much money, get either a FX or a 9700.
                              Also, from what I understand of the software patch the turns a 9500 into a 9700 you ought to be able to use a software patch to turn a 9x00 card into a FireGL.

Again the big difference is the drivers, I think they handle the information differently. Since 3D work is high detail scenes at low frame rates, while games are low detail at very high frame rates.

Again, remember that pro cards corresponds to consumer part but (I assume) higher resolution RAMDEC's. So if you get a bottom of the line Quadro4, you'll be getting a GeForce4 Ti 4200 with 64 MB of RAM and some nice video chips.

I think if you go to the lowest end they may even be MX's?!?!?

Right now that I have beaten this to death and repeated myself countless times...
                              I'll shut up

Comment

Working...
                              X