Quadro FX vs. Geforce FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RDR
    most of our CAD stations at work are the same ...GF4's - there's such a minor difference in IQ between a Quadro and the corrosponding GF (for what we are doing) that I can't justify the price difference

although the prices have come down a lot - I can get a 900XGL for a bit over 0cdn now (~0usd) - but a GF4ti4200 is only 0cdn

besides if you want the best ...get a Wildcat - the Wildcat 4 7210 w/384mb of ram is ~00cdn :D
    actually... for some reason, my software runs slower on any Wildcat than on nVidia. I am not deliberately programming for nVidia cards. Yet no other card has ever matched the nVidia line for us. We've tried ATI, Wildcat, FireGL, 3Dlabs and none have ever worked as good as our Geforce line starting at Quadro2Pros and continuing up through Quadro's and Geforce lines.... part of the problem for us is the variety, I think, many full sized textures, display lists, vertex arrays, bitmapped graphics, including logos and text, line drawing (in 3D space), etc. All in one.... it just seems to bog down everyone else (more than nVidia -- even nVidia I am only pulling 78-83fps on a Quadro4-900....

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiCatJB
      actually... for some reason, my software runs slower on any Wildcat than on nVidia. I am not deliberately programming for nVidia cards. Yet no other card has ever matched the nVidia line for us. We've tried ATI, Wildcat, FireGL, 3Dlabs and none have ever worked as good as our Geforce line starting at Quadro2Pros and continuing up through Quadro's and Geforce lines.... part of the problem for us is the variety, I think, many full sized textures, display lists, vertex arrays, bitmapped graphics, including logos and text, line drawing (in 3D space), etc. All in one.... it just seems to bog down everyone else (more than nVidia -- even nVidia I am only pulling 78-83fps on a Quadro4-900....
      the only CAD stations we use Wildcats on are the one we use to generate (shaded) 3D surface files - IQ is key - the models usually aren't very complex - compared to the what we have on the eng/design boxes so speed isn't a problem...Wildcats are a lot slower than the Geforce series as far as frame rates go. - but you can see things in a shaded model that you just can't with a Geforce or even a Quadro

I haven't tried any ATi's for Prof Apps. lately - when we first started using gaming cards Ati couldn't match nVidia in openGL & I still think that's the case now.

Comment

Originally posted by RDR
        the only CAD stations we use Wildcats on are the one we use to generate (shaded) 3D surface files - IQ is key - the models usually aren't very complex - compared to the what we have on the eng/design boxes so speed isn't a problem...Wildcats are a lot slower than the Geforce series as far as frame rates go. - but you can see things in a shaded model that you just can't with a Geforce or even a Quadro

I haven't tried any ATi's for Prof Apps. lately - when we first started using gaming cards Ati couldn't match nVidia in openGL & I still think that's the case now.
        Yeah, mine isn't CAD per se. My best description I often say, is something akin to an air-traffic controller environment, but in full 3D, fully annotated, history lines, interactive, and as of the Geforce4/Quadro4, full earth (space to your face) at full frame rate (some systems do drop below 60fps -- why a couple of folks have dropped the money for the Quadro4). I get just under 10% improvement in speed for the price of a Quadro4-900, I believe we have only 2 running my product, most wouldn't pay for that extra 10% speed and couldn't care less about IQ. :) I only care speed myself. :flames:

Comment

Working...
        X