X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video problems....

ok, i finally picked up a new vid card

well, two of them - both AGP

a radeon 7500 and a geforce 256(64mb ddr)

with the 7500, the screen goes black and the system freezes within 5 minutes of use

with the 256, the screen darkens in 2 steps, but doesn't go totally dark, within 5 minutes

with the 7500, i run DXdiagnostics, and it runs the first test ok, then starts on the second (the bounce white box within a small black one), the system freezes

i haven't had a chance to test DX with the 256

i have the right, latest drivers for the radeon installed (5_13_01_3276) and am downloding the right ones for the 256, i think (http://205.158.109.140/Windows/23.11/Win2K-XP_23.11.exe from the nvidea.com website, but it doesn't specifically say geforce256 on the download page)

i have DX8a installed

there are no giudes in any readme file for either card for BIOS settings, and i have played with them in dozens of configurations too (max of AGP 2x on the board)
    there are no problems with heat
    there are no hardware conflicts
    there is 1 shared IRQ but it has nothing to do with video (ATA100 and 1394)

i've done everything i can think of in the last 4 days and the only thing left is a possible incompatability between either card and the mobo - epox mvp3c-m

any ideas anyone?

(cross posted in incompatability section)

edit:
    oh, and i should mention-
    i have a voodoo3 2000 that's in here now, and i have ZERO problems of any kind

it just can't handle the high res or DVD, which is why i wanted a new card... :(

What are the specs of your system?

I had a similar problem a long time ago, my MB could only support AGP 2X and it would not let me use a Geforce2 MX.. just couldn't handle it... so chances are it's your MB that is causing the conflict.. then again, maybe not.

Comment

Epox MVP3C-M (supports AGP 2x and 1x, when radeon is installed, there is an option to set 2x or 4x, under rightclick desktop/properties/etc, so i set it @ 2x)
      full load of ram
      AMD K6-3 450
      HP cdrw 9100+
      generic 16x DVDrom
      gobs of hdd space (is 230GB enough?)
      cards in order:
      AGP voodoo3 2000 currently installed (also have radeon 7500 and a geforce 256, not installed - see above post)
      creative labs Dxrv2 dvd decoder card (not enabled, can't find right driver(s) )
      audigy mp3+ sound card
      ATA100 card
      macronix nic
      ISA modem

unrelated:
      USB zip 100, external
      3-piece spkr system
      wingman extreme gamepad, serial
      std floppy drive
      400watt PSU, to a 425 UPS
      21" HP Ergo 1600 monitor on a 375 UPS

changing order of cards isn't an option
      removal of the dvd decoder isn't either (at this time), i'm still waiting to hear from creative about use under win2k, otherwise i'll have it under duel-boot (sic) with win98

win2kpro 5.00.2195 on "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT"
      all current drivers for everything loaded

no forced hardware

sharing/conflicts:
      IRQ 11 3dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Series Driver
      IRQ 11 Multimedia Video Controller (dvd decoder card, not enabled, so not using any resources)
      IRQ 12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (don't have any firewire devices, so no conflicts)
      IRQ 12 Win2000 Maxtor Ultra ATA 100 IDE Controller

IRQs:
      IRQ Number Device
      11 3dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo Series Driver
      11 Multimedia Video Controller
      14 Primary IDE Channel
      15 Secondary IDE Channel
      10 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
      9 Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
      12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
      12 Win2000 Maxtor Ultra ATA 100 IDE Controller
      5 Macronix MX98715 Family Fast Ethernet Adapter (ACPI)
      1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
      4 Communications Port (COM1)
      3 Communications Port (COM2)
      6 Standard floppy disk controller
      8 System CMOS/real time clock
      13 Numeric data processor

system summary:
      Item Value
      OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
      Version 5.0.2195 Build 2195
      OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
      System Name OICU812
      System Manufacturer Timmaaahhh!!
      System Model Not Available
      System Type X86-based PC
      Processor x86 Family 5 Model 9 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~450 Mhz
      BIOS Version Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
      Windows Directory D:\WINNT
      Locale United States
      Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
      Total Physical Memory 785,976 KB
      Available Physical Memory 616,028 KB
      Total Virtual Memory 2,092,044 KB
      Available Virtual Memory 1,769,508 KB
      Page File Space 1,306,068 KB

off topic: how the hell do you enable a serial mouse in safemode in win2k?

Comment

Actually I think that you'll find that both cards require more than a SS7 board can provide as a lot find it hard to run a GF2 MX. :smokin:
        <center> </center>

Comment

oooooook, so i'm outta luck then?

wth... :((

i aint got no mo' dough fo no new mobo, and cpu - and ifn i did i gots NO idea what i want or need (too many choices out there)

for sale! :

geforce256 vid card! like new! hardly used! rare! 64mb ddr!! with drivers on cd, and adapters! Cheap!
          "must sell!"

Comment

yeah i think your agp voltage would be crappy for either new video cards, plus they are underdone when only at 2x as opposed to their capable 4x...

Comment

BUT I NEED THIS PROBLEM FIXED.
              My geforce 4 mx420 64mb DDR does sumthing like this. It freezes after about 30 seconds of playing games or such. I have latest drivers, im not sure its a power problem.
              IM LED TO BELIEVE IT IS A PROBLEM WITH EITHER WIN-ME OR MY PSU??????
              I dont know these things so plees help!
              My board DOES support agp4x however, and i dont think it is a hardware problem.

Also... .What would happen if i tried running my video card as a geforce 2? would it get damaged?

Comment

ME sucks dude.

Comment

DrP is right, windows me is a very unstable operating system, win 98 is much better or you could try xp if you have the money. As far as running it as a geforce 2, how would you do that?? If you have another OS like win 98 you could try to put that on but as far as geforce 4s go, I have had a problem with the screen going blank on my geforce 4 Ti4200 whenever I upgrade from win me or 98(I have both) to win xp...even when I do a clean install of win xp and I have heard other similar stories about this problem so I am wondering if it could be a driver conflict or something??
                  Here are my specs:
                  System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Remove the old drivers first & that should solve that problem. You might use denonator destroyer to do it if other attempts fail.

Comment

Ok now im runnin win2k and it works fine (apart from the fact that most games dont run on it!)

Except i couldnt find 2k drivers for my s/card and im using the ME ones and i think they are causing the blue screen errors i get just about every time i load a game or sumthin.

i have Soundmax digital audio sound on my mobo

Comment

Working...
                      X