comparing graphics cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing graphics cards

does any one know where i can get benchmarks comparing "consumer graphics cards " (ati 9700pro for example) with cards designed for use with CAD programs (pro engineer , solid works etc ) .
    I would like to know how consumer level cards compare with the likes of the ATI firegl series of cards and the nvida quadro pro series of cards .
    I would also like to know of any other CAD orientated cards please!
    thanks alot for your help:cool: :afro: :afro:

It is really rare to see such a comparison. I have ocassionaly seen gaming benchmarks run on "pro" cards and compared to a gaming card just to show that "pro" cards are not for gaming. These are like apples and oranges. "Pro" cards are designed for extreme accuracy and eshew speed. "Consumer" cards with bragging rights for games go for speed at almost any cost, including having an acceptable level of error. A missing line in one frame in a game is not the same as a missing line in a CAD drawing. Do a Google search for other brands of "pro" cards.

Comment

Ummmm........ Unless it's a different card, Mr Tweak himself just posted a review about that exact board. Unless your looking for something different, I'd check that out.

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=409

Comment

We've been using gaming cards in place of professional OpenGL cards at work almost exclusively for the past 2 years - mostly CAD/CAM/CAE stuff - no animation apps.
        there is a difference in IQ - but it is so insignificant I can't justify spending 3-10times as much for a professional card...I'd rather use gaming cards and upgrade more often

We had been using mainly 3DLabs/Intense 3D products - but all we buy now is the Geforce series

Comment

i dont use Cad much bearly ever but realize this that the profesional grafix cards are based on the nvidia chipset in some cases they are exacly alike here is a link that will tell you how to convert any nvidia card up to GF3 into a Quattro card http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/ and as far as i know Quattro cards are the pro cards for cad and so on

Comment

Does any one know of a site that has reviewed the different "pro" cards and has a comparision with it?
            thanks sojouner:confused:

Comment

I think I read a review of the FireGL's and the newer Quadro series at Anandtech - so try searching there

Reveiwing Prof. cards is kind of a subjective thing though so much of it comes down to tiny differences in IQ.

Comment

thanks RDR
                :thumb:

heres a queston completely un related to this thread but has does any one know if someone has run rdram with an AMD athalon? I wonder how much of a performance boost the athalon would get from rdram?
                There's probably not a chipset that would support that combo though! :afro: :flames:

Comment

No they havn't (publically anyway) but RDRAM would in no way help an Athlon (with higher latencies would likely slow it down which even though AMD has a license they obviously don't want to use it either). Wait till ya see what dual chanel DDR does soon on Intel P4's as it should leave RDRAM behind. :devil win
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                  X