Nvidia Tnt2 card and XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Tnt2 card and XP?

I am having a damn hard time with this Nvidia TNT2 Video card. I recently installed Windows Xp on my system. When I try logging on to my ISP, my screen goes blank, then it comes back in 4-bit display. It SUCKS!!!! Can anyone tell me what is wrong. Should I just buy a new Video card? Is this common?
    Please HELP!!!
    Thanks!
    :cheers:

Have you installed drivers for your video card or are you using the default ones that come with WinXP?

Comment

I downloded the latest drivers from the Nvidia website.
      Thats what is annoying!

Comment

the TNT's don't always work real well with the latest detonators...I would try to find the 3.68's or something from the 5.XX series and use them - they were meant specifically for TNT's

Comment

Im sorry! Where would I find that.
          Thanks

Comment

hmmmm...that actually might not be a great idea, I'm not sure how XP would like the older drivers....but you could try rolling back your drivers to the default XP ones and see if that helps.

Comment

I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT. IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING!

Comment

does it only happen when you log onto the Internet?
                what exactly do you mean by 4bit display?

Comment

I TRIED INSTALLING ACROBAT, AND IT HAPPENED.
                  I THINK IM GONNA
                  YEAH, IT GOES TO 4-BIT. THE SCREEN LOOKS CRAPPY, THE ICONS ARE ALL BIG. I LOOK IN THE DISPLAY PROPERTIES AND IT SHOWS A 4-BIT SETTING. I CANT INCREASE THE RESOLUTION EITHER. WHEN I REBOOT, IT GOES BACK TO NORMAL.
                  THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES.
                  I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

Comment

it's almost certainly a software related problem...did it start immediately after you installed XP?

Comment

YES IT DID.

Comment

It is almost certainly a driver issue.When Windows has a major problem with vid drivers it can default to VGA settings so you can still see the screen. What do normally run for settings, 16bit, 32? What kind of res at what refresh? Try starting at at 8bit, 640x480, 60hz. If it doesnt' screw up, try jacking up the settings by one increment and try again. This may at least find the threshhold of the problem. Sometimes driver releases have descriptions of fixes and one of the descriptions may match your problem. The card should work with xp as I have heard of ther people using it. It is also possible I guess that there is a bios setting for AGP that xp's handling of the drivers causes the problem. BTW, did you load xp drivers for your mobo?

Comment

I don't know how the mfg'r support will be aon a card that old - but you could try to find out if that specific card has any issues with winXP.
                          I would even go as far as trying a whole new XP install - did the orig. install go smoothly? was it an upgrade form a previous Win version or was it a reformat & install from scratch
                          also - have you downloaded & installed all the WinXP updates and patches?

Comment

Most systems with TNT/TNT2 video cards I find don't like drivers above 5.32 and DX7.1 ;)

If you can't find a driver that will cure your probs under XP then either go back to the old os or update the video card. : peace2:
                            <cernter>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hmmm it should be working ok :\ I've got a TNT that worked under XP on my friends machine when he borrowed the card. I think he was using either the windows XP drivers or the newest detonators without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X