GF4 mx420 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GF4 mx420 problems

Much help is required! I haverecently bought a GF4 mx420 64mbDDR vid card and whenever i run progs using direct3d/openGL such as games, my comp freezes after about 30 seconds.

I am running ME(is that the prob?)
    I have the latest drivers SO DONT ASK ABOUT GETTING LATEST ONES FROM NVIDIA!!!!

IT doesnt seem to be a cooling issue as i took of the case and blew a fan at it and it still did same thing.

It probly isnt hardware or it wouldnt start running games in first place right?

I've already used dxdiag and stuff and there are no errors coming up.
    HELP! Before i do sumthing like this to myself and my computer:
    :hammer:

What was the video card installed before? If it was not a one using the GeForce GPU then it is likely you have residual files left over from that card. These files have been known to confuse the Detonator drivers and cause instabilities.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I was using an nvidia vanta LT...

Comment

It sure is sounding like a driver problem. What version are you using? And before you state once again that "I have the latest drivers SO DONT ASK ABOUT GETTING LATEST ONES FROM NVIDIA!!!!", let's remember that nVidia doesn't release drivers on their site until the mighty Microsoft says they're OK to run under Winblows. Take a trip on over to www.guru3d.com and check out some of their selections. It is entirely possible that a different set will fix you up. Or if it's been a while since your last format/reinstall of the OS, then it may be time to again.
        My Toys

Comment

yeh im actually upgrading to winXP in a couple of days. Should this fix all my driver problems(im removing ME).
          Im using the latest detonators - is it 30.82?? anyway ill take a look at 3dguru and keep you posted.

Comment

Ah... I overlooked the WinME part. That might help explain why you're having problems. You had the nerve to change something under this OS. And if you're thinking to yourself that I'm being critical, then you're correct.

WinME is the absolute worst operating system to EVER come out of Redmond. It was supposed to be a hold-over for WinXP but it proved to be a nightmare from the very beginning. It tends to be unstable (as you're finding out now) and is a poor performer when compared to the older brother (Win98). Bottom line... IT SUCKS!

But since you're getting ready to install WinXP in a few days, then your problems are likely soon to be over. Just make sure to install it clean and don't use the UPGRADE option. This will give you a fresh start and allow for the best performance under Windows.

Good luck! :)
            My Toys

Comment

k once ive installed xpillkeepu posted

Comment

Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X