Home made ramsinks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made ramsinks!

I have made some ramsinks for my videocard. I sprayed them blue. Does it matter that i painted them? Because of the heat?

don't paint the bottom of the ramsink where it connects to the chips...
    SPAM Special Ops

Comment

The bottom is clear no paint on it. So no problem i think!:D

Comment

maybe use some TIM on it..just don't get any on the rest of the card/dimm ....you don't want it to short out.
        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

SOrry to ask but what is tim?

Comment

Thermal Interface Material (i.e. Artic Silver). It Fills any microscopic voids between the sink and the chip; giving it a good heat transfer from the chip to the heatsink. Always apply a very thin amount and another thing make sure it stays on the chip since it really isn't an adhesive.
            - Damien

Comment

I know what artic silver is hehe. But i will put a thin layer between the sink and the chip, and put some superglue on the corners.

Comment

Well that what a "TIM" is. So whatever works...they do sell Thermal Epoxy..but i have heard that they are not the best when it comes down to heat transfer.
                - Damien

Comment

The paint is till drying hehe. I hope i have enough superglue. Thanks for your helps guys!

Comment

Anytime:thumb:
                    - Damien

Comment

Be sure to keep us up to date on this, when you get the details worked out, a bit of a how-to would be nice as well.
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I've got home made ram sinks on my Geforce2 pro right now....I used an old p70 heatsink and cut it into 8 blocks, each the exact size of one RAM module. I then Lapped the bottom starting with 320 grade sandpaper, then 600, then 1200 grit for the final lapping.

One other tip, a little bit of brasso works wonders if you want a mirror finish, just make sure your using wet/dry sandpaper.

The result: My card could now overclock from 400mhz (default) to 480mhz. Before the ram sinks, it could only reach 460mhz. Anyway, good luck with yours. : peace2:

Comment

Thanks they are dry now, i'm going to put them on right now. I will tell you all the results!

Comment

Good Luck. :thumb:

Comment

Wow they are amazing. Normally i was able to overclock my ram from 334 to 370. But now it is running at 400mhz! They even Look good!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X