Faulty PCI Slot or Graphics Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty PCI Slot or Graphics Card?

I've bought a PCI PNY Verto GeForce4 MX 420. When I put it in any PCI slots the PC will not boot up. I've upgraded the PSU to 350W like the FAQ on their website suggested but it still doesn't boot. I then unscrewed the card and pushed it upwards towards the PSU while turning it on. It booted up no problem. I screwed the card in the position I had held it in but after a re-boot I got the blank screen again. I've tried the card in different slots and holding it in different positions. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The fan on the card ALWAYS spins though. Is the card faulty or do I need to modify the pins in the PCI slot (i.e. pull them out slightly so they definately contact with the card?) If I put my Matrox PCI card back in it boots up every time.

It's more likely a problem with the card itself. :smokin:

Comment

i've never run into this with PNY cards in particular but I've seen a lot of poorly made AGP & PCI cards which did not properly fit into either the slots on the motherboard or were slightly off when you tried screwing them into your case.

Could that be whats going on? if it is try exchanging the card maybe a different card will make contact the right way in the slot..

Comment

Thats the thing though, the card LOOKS as though it is seated corectly. I'll try and send it back for a replacement.

Comment

You wouldn't happen to have an ECS board by any chance? I'm just asking as these are finicky on what ya put in them.

Comment

It's a PCChips board with an SiS chipset. Think I'm gonna have to change the board. I put it in an old motherboard with a Pentium 133 CPU and it boots up every time.

Comment

That could be it as PCChips are basically an OEM maker which means cheap and I'm no fan of SiS chipsets either as I have one. Sorry. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'm thinking of getting an Epox Baby AT board (if I still can) Do you know if these are good boards??

Comment

Originally posted by DSYKES5500
                  I'm thinking of getting an Epox Baby AT board (if I still can) Do you know if these are good boards??
                  Stay away from any Baby AT form factor boards unless you absolutely have to use that old AT case..;)

You'll find the majority of them have either too many things built onto the motherboard [video, audio, modem, etc.] plus not enought expansion slots [if you are lucky you might find 1 AGP/3 PCI/3 ISA]. And probably the best chipset you'll find on these boards will be the Intel 440 BX or the VIA MVP3..

Just my 2 cents..

Comment

Yes they still make them for the moment but probably not for much longer and findin' someone who stocks them is hard though I use their best one in my PC No.1 (click the link in my sig). :thumb:
                    What CPU are ya plannin' on using in it anyway? The 133? :?:
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                    X