Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which graphics card for older PC?

Hi
    I have a Dell Dimension XPS T500. I think I have an AGP slot. I have 256 RAM (I think thats the max) & a P3 and need a graphics card but I don't want to spend a lot of bucks on an old machine. What would be cool with a good amount of Ram on it and would liven up my games? I bought this PC last summer off e-bay to replace my Dell 166. I wonder how much longer this PC will last before I need to buy a new one? I think this thing currently has an ATI 3D Range Pro (atir3). It wont play some of the download demo's.

thanks
    Marc

First thing, look at the minimum requirements of the demo's that are giving you trouble. What is your system going to need to get up to par?
    Is video the only thing holding you back?
    If so, find out what is compatible with your system and see if that is going to be enough to get you going with the games your interested in.
    If that's not going to get it going on for you, it might be best to just hold out for a more thorough system upgrade.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Another thing is if there is a AGP slot to find out if it's a 2x or 4x slot as this will have a bearing on what card ya can use too.. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

WOW!
        A lot to think about. I guess if i get a 4x apg card and my slot is 2x that could be priety bad, huh? Will it not fit or go buluzie when I boot? I was at Dell's site and learned a lot about my PC. I do have an APG slot but can't figure out if it's 2x or 4x yet. Any tips on this?

System profile:
        Computer Model
        BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
        BIOS Version
        BIOS Date 06/28/2000
        Case Type Unknown
        Windows Version 98
        Explorer Version 6.0.2600.0000

Processors

Central Processor
        Manufacturer Intel Corporation
        Product Name Pentium III processor
        Version Intel Pentium(R) III Processor
        External Clock Speed 100 Hz
        Maximum Clock Speed 1200 Hz
        Current Clock Speed 500 Hz

Memory

System memory with 3 slots - Placement: System board or motherboard
        DIMM: 128 Mb DRAM
        DIMM: 128 Mb DRAM
        DIMM: empty

Windows Memory/Resources
        Total Memory 261652 Kb
        Available Memory 944 Kb
        Page File Size 1835496 Kb
        Available Page File 1653336 Kb
        Virtual Memory 2093056 Kb
        Available Virtual Memory 1900864 Kb

Hardware (Built Into System)
        Type Description Enabled
        Video AGP Yes
        Sound AUDIO Yes
        Sound AUDIO Yes
        Sound AUDIO Yes

Hardware (Added On To System)
        Type Description Manufacturer

Disks
        Drive Type Drive Size Total
        Available
        Space User
        Available
        Space
        A:\ removable
        C:\ fixed 38168 Mb 32670 Mb 32670 Mb
        D:\ CD ROM 286 Mb 0 Mb 0 Mb

Comment

If ur Dell is a P3 500Mhz, then it almost certainly has an Intel BX chipset which is 2x AGP. However plenty of people run 4x AGP cards like Geforces in them, so you could probably take your pick. I don't know how the BX goes with Geforce4's tho, probably a good medium would be a GF3 Ti200?

Comment

I've run an original GeForce3 in a BX board, and it was OK..... I would imagine a GeForce4 Ti4200 would work OK? :?:
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Another thing to consider would be the power supply that the system uses as if it was just enough to power that system then a high end video card may consume enough power to make the system unstable. Doesn't happen a lot but it does happen. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Especially with brand name boxes as they tend to put really poxy PUS's in them.

Comment

Working...
                X