Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dlabs

Hi all.
    Anyone had the b'locks to OC a wildcat card?

Why would you want to?

Comment

Because I'm a petrolhead :-)
      I'm into CAD & need all the OpenGL performance I can muster.
      The Wildcat cards don't even support DirectX so that is not an issue.

Comment

I've used one of the orig. Intense3D Wildcats - before they were bought out by 3DLabs - I've also used the 3DLabsGVX420's

the sad part is that the OpenGL IQ is not significantly better than a good quality tweaked out GF2 - especially with the Quadro hack

it is slightly better - but when you consider that those cards cost 10x as much or more than a GF2... the benefits are dubious.

the last few CAD/CAM/CAE boxes I've bought at work have had GF2Pro's - and no one's complained

There may be other OGL apps. that show a bigger disparity in IQ - but for what I run - I can't see it

Comment

At the cost of those cards, I wouldn't have the guts to think about it. They run hot as it is already, especially the AGP Pro 50 ones.

Oh, wait...that's what we do the Athlon's anyway...:thumb:

Comment

Well P4's are just as bad as Athlons in that respect and maybe even worse. :D
            <center></center>

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
              Well P4's are just as bad as Athlons in that respect and maybe even worse. :D
              <center></center>

I second that one Wiggo....... but at least the Pentium 4 can tolerate a higher temperature - clock throttling saves data corruption ;)
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

ACK!

It still amazes me how folks can be glad of something that slows down their computer. Even if it's design is to try to save the CPU in the extreme (and very unlikely) event of a HSF falling off, it still comes down to the fact that the CPU is the one who decides what is too hot. What happens when you're in the middle of an all-night fragfest and your processor decides that you're just running too hot. There goes the performance! :(

I'm not a fan of ANYTHING that slows down my system unless I am the one who tells it to do it.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Darth, that only happens under EXTREME conditions - and I'd rather my CPU slow down than corrupt my data ;)

Comment

Oh well Asus has started to implement those measures for Athlon XP/MP's and Morgan Duron's with their A7M266-D, A7N266-E and A7V266-E motherboards (even though it's not perfect yet but they're workin' on it). So it won't be to long before others being either. ;)
                    <center></center>

Comment

Any idea how much that will cost Wiggo? Is it a few dollars or what? Because if it's too much the boards won't be competitive :(

Comment

I have no idea as that function was included on the boards when they were introduced so there's nothin' to compare them with really to work out some sort of cost. :smokin:
                        <center></center>

Comment

Working...
                        X