Ques about psu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ques about psu.

I have a p3 1 ghz, 512 mb ram, Asus mobo, cd-rom and a cd-writer, and got no x-tra fans, i'm going to replace my graphicscard with a Ti 4600 soon and i wonder if a 250 W psu is to weak for this system?
    Maybe I should have 300 W at least. The new card is a Creative 3d blaster.
    Btw, Anyone know anything about these cards? They are around 100$ cheaper than the asus card. /Thx

Your PSU would probably be OK in your system. I'm running an Ath XP + lots of peripherals from a 250W PSU at the moment, and it's just holding in there.

Comment

You may well be alright.
      At the same time you have identified your systems most likely potential weakness.
      So if you should experience problems, you know what steps to take.
      Best of luck to you The__tweaker:thumb:
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I don't know....I here the ti line need a lot of juice.....

I am running a 330 watt PSU with no problems....

Comment

it depends on the power supply...most cheaper ones are much weaker than what they are rated at....when u get your new vid card keep an eye on your voltages with motherboard moniter 5....if say. your 12 V line drops below 11.9 you probably need a new power supply...also if u get random unexplained hangs it;s probably the psu:afro:

Comment

also, if your are getting a new gf4 i suggest u get a leadtek....they are about the same price...if not cheaper if u look around....and overl**** much better:afro:

Comment

The main problem is not so much the 12v rail but the combined 3.3v and 5v rails wattage that is the real deciding factor. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

So how much should they drop before getting a bigger one?

12v-12.22v
                5v-4.87
                3.3-3.28

These are the loewst figures I got running pcmark2002

Are these to low?

I notice a few stutters here and there but I thought it was an XP/computer thing.

Would you think I should considering upgrading?

Comment

no way! my voltages r lowers nad i don't have any probs at all!:afro:

Comment

Look ya can give +/-5% voltage wise and that would make no difference but it's the amps/wattage that count the most as this guarantees the supply which in turn makes for a stable system. :smokin:

Comment

Originally posted by chisholm
                      also, if your are getting a new gf4 i suggest u get a leadtek....they are about the same price...if not cheaper if u look around....and overl**** much better:afro:
                      No way...go for an X-Micro.....the ti4600 can be found for $720!!!!!!! They are good quality and have good overclockability, unlike most other cheaper brands

Comment

lol yea actually get x-micro ppl! i actually wanted to get one but the onli store that had them in autralia was temporally closed bcos the owners were on holiday....

isn't the easiest way to check if your power supply is coping ok is the voltage? i thought if the power supply is having porblems getting across reliable power the voltages would sag:afro:

hmmm does this mean that your psu could be causing you trouble even if the voltages aren't particularly low?

Comment

The actual sag will effect the wattage 1st before it will effect the voltage and that why AMD list the total combined wattage across the 3.3v and 5v rails for most PSU's as you could have 4.96v @ 30w on the 5v rail and be ok and the same voltage (or more) but @ only 20w maybe a no goer and the same goes for the other rails. :smokin:
                          Gee now look at that, a listing for 2200+ CPU's, though there's nothin' in there yet. :devil:

Comment

Yessir, PSU's are rated according to Watts.
                            Therefor Voltage is only 1 part of the equation as Volts X Amps = Watts.

So's you have to have a reading of both to determine if your PSU is performing as it should.
                            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                            X