Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• every one of us here is a scientist in training :p

hey guys,

just wanted to make a thread on the sheer humor to the extremes that we all have been threw revovling around the video card.im open for any crazy stories u guys had threw the past years\or video cards(whatever first,lol) .i would like to here some crazy overclocking fry jobs(always amazing stories),how many times u reinstalled a game\patch,reinstalling of complete operating system(lol been there),fan mods to cards,harddrives added(for no noticable improvement,been there),adding more ram,etc.with a thread like this im trying to actually use the reverse physcology effect(aka reverse jedi mind trick)of laughter to aid in us helping 1 another with current problems with some good fun.at the same time im sure we could all use a good laff(pics if any,lol).now with this i except no one to blantly call each other names after guys here open up and let the horror stories begin(lol),as for it was done in the name of science********as we all are working our degrees threw the years on Videocardology************

lmao x1,000000000000!!!!!!!!!!! bf2nut!!!!frag on!!

few ppl might of wonderd my name in battlefield2(some not,disregard then) im -Railmeat666- next rank sergent major ,43,113 global points ,14 0f 16 weps unlocked.love to fly jets(103 kills in 1 map all jet kills record for me)
    Last edited by bf2nut; 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Re: every one of us here is a scientist in training :p

I don't know if this counts but my first computer was an Acer with a Pentium 75 CPU and Win 3.1 with an upgrade offer to Win 95. Back in the day I paid $2500 (US) for it at the local Montgomery Wards store, mainly to play the game Simcity2:(. I dumped quite a bit more money into it just trying to keep it running, including system ram upgrades, paid calls to tech support, fixing the CD player and the diskette drive as well as the monitor, oh yeah and I can't forget all the O.S. installs along with a super high hourly rate to get super slow internet conection from AOL that also charged a seperate rate to use U.S. Sprint lines. Infact I had sooo many problems with the system I contribute the interest that I have in P.C.'s today to that very first peice of junk P.C. that I bought back in 1995 that I thought was so high tech, I was even afraid to touch it when I first got it but all the problems and expence forced me to open the cover and start doing my own adjustments and repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
      I don't know if this counts but my first computer was an Acer with a Pentium 75 CPU and Win 3.1 with an upgrade offer to Win 95. Back in the day I paid $2500 (US) for it at the local Montgomery Wards store, mainly to play the game Simcity2:(. I dumped quite a bit more money into it just trying to keep it running, including system ram upgrades, paid calls to tech support, fixing the CD player and the diskette drive as well as the monitor, oh yeah and I can't forget all the O.S. installs along with a super high hourly rate to get super slow internet conection from AOL that also charged a seperate rate to use U.S. Sprint lines. Infact I had sooo many problems with the system I contribute the interest that I have in P.C.'s today to that very first peice of junk P.C. that I bought back in 1995 that I thought was so high tech, I was even afraid to touch it when I first got it but all the problems and expence forced me to open the cover and start doing my own adjustments and repairs.
      spomgeb0b!!!!ROFL X1,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!! !!
      DUDE!lmao if nobody else replies that was worth the 10 minutes to type that!!!omfroflmaocopters raining from the sky!!!!!dude lmao i copy and pasted this story to 6 of my buddys and were like "Pentium 75 CPU and Win 3.1 with an upgrade offer to Win 95"volt modded!overclocked to 66fsb!!lmao!!!dudewhen i can contain my self i will be back later,lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Stacker830 Watercooled
      Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
      Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Originally posted by bf2nut
        spomgeb0b!!!!ROFL X1,00000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!!!! !!
        DUDE!lmao if nobody else replies that was worth the 10 minutes to type that!!!omfroflmaocopters raining from the sky!!!!!dude lmao i copy and pasted this story to 6 of my buddys and were like "Pentium 75 CPU and Win 3.1 with an upgrade offer to Win 95"volt modded!overclocked to 66fsb!!lmao!!!dudewhen i can contain my self i will be back later,lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        ROTFL!!! Your easy to amuse:)!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
          ROTFL!!! Your easy to amuse:)!!!!
          Youth, mate ............. it's wasted on the young ....... and yes .... I remember 3.1 ..... 386's then the big step up to a ......... 486 DX2 ...... oh the joy of the moment
          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

ehe 2 7900gtx,s with no avialbe bridge to sli em...
            Stacker830 Watercooled

Comment

Shoot, I remember DOS back on 8088s at a whopping 6(or was it 8) MHz!!!! 256k RAM (nobody would ever need more!?)..NO HDD, 5.25" floppies! Then stepping up to my first build of a 486DX2 120, VESA Video/controller cards and 16 Megs of RAM and a soundblaster AWE soundcard of course. That system held me thru till the first part of win95. I moved to a P-233 32megs RAM and a Dimond Viper 330 AGP card with dual Voodoo II cards in OG SLI not far after the jump to a P-II 350 128 RAM. I kept upgrading parts like a P-III 700, more RAM, U2W SCSI drives etc till my next system of a PIII-1000(POS) and a Voodoo3 3500. My next build was a 2.4 P4 with 1.5gigs of PC800(RDRAM) and Ti4600 card. I also started fiddling with watercooling/overclocking on this system. After that crapped out on me(MB Boot glitch) I built my first AMD system, 3800+ and 1gig RAM and a move to SATA drives, I'm now on first upgrade of that system with a 4400+ and 2gigs RAM/7800GTX all OC. Movement is a good thing!

As far as frying things, I've never fried anything that was mine..But when I was the head tech at the local custom CPU shop we had a P-II that we called the RMAtor. It would catch the voltage regulators on fire on any MB we put it in. Some guy lit his cigarettes on them a few times!
              Last edited by matm347; 03-29-2006, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matm347
                Shoot, I remember DOS back on 8088s at a whopping 6(or was it 8) MHz!!!! 256k RAM (nobody would ever need more!?)..NO HDD, 5.25" floppies! Then stepping up to my first build of a 486DX2 120, VESA Video/controller cards and 16 Megs of RAM and a soundblaster AWE soundcard of course. That system held me thru till the first part of win95. I moved to a P-233 32megs RAM and a Dimond Viper 330 AGP card with dual Voodoo II cards in OG SLI not far after the jump to a P-II 350 128 RAM. I kept upgrading parts like a P-III 700, more RAM, U2W SCSI drives etc till my next system of a PIII-1000(POS) and a Voodoo3 3500. My next build was a 2.4 P4 with 1.5gigs of PC800(RDRAM) and Ti4600 card. I also started fiddling with watercooling/overclocking on this system. After that crapped out on me(MB Boot glitch) I built my first AMD system, 3800+ and 1gig RAM and a move to SATA drives, I'm now on first upgrade of that system with a 4400+ and 2gigs RAM/7800GTX all OC. Movement is a good thing!

As far as frying things, I've never fried anything that was mine..But when I was the head tech at the local custom CPU shop we had a P-II that we called the RMAtor. It would catch the voltage regulators on fire on any MB we put it in. Some guy lit his cigarettes on them a few times!
                dude,
                roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflplanes attacking ma sides!!!!!dude lmao lighting cigs off dudes caps dude that is a pure and complete riot.just when u think u heard it all !!!roffles with lmao syrup drizzled on it!thats to funny man.i know right now theres atleast 3 more ppl reading this and still pissed off thinking of the times they fried something!!lol its ok, post it!in the name of science dam it! i want more war stories!!!sorry guys been away awhile,ugh i work 6am-4pm,bed at 9-9:30pm mon-thurs(4-10hour days,now im off,fri,sat,sun!)btw im currently in the middle of rebuilding a dell l800r(p3 800mhz box),a 600mhz celeron box,and a 2.6(865 mobo box)lmao gotta go im in scientist mod3 as we sp3@k!!!lmao
                Stacker830 Watercooled

Comment

Well I dont have a huge collection of burnt CPU's, but I can not say the same for motherboards, I have 5-6 burnt out motherboards and about the same amount of spare CPU's to go along with them. The most recient happened about 4-5 months ago (I think) goes like this: (this was on a s754 A64 3200 and gigabyte motherboard) I was playing Doom 3 at about midnight, figured I'd get some sleep, So I quit doom and opened up folding, then went to bed. At about 3 o'clock am I awake to loud popping sounds and blue flashes, get out of bed, turn on the light and notice my computer is off. I figured it was my computer that made those sounds so I unplugged it as fast as I could. All I could smell for hours was burnt PCB. I wne back to bed because I was way to tired to deal with it at the time. Got up in the morning and stripped the entire computer, smell was comin from the power supply, so plugged in a spare 420W one and no workie. DAMN!! Looked over the motherboard annd found nothing. Contacted the maker of my powersupply and they gladdly sent me a new one, in about a week(after they recieved mine of coarse). I got a freind to test my motherboard with a spare sempron 3100 he had and it didnt work, and gigabyte would not give me an RMA number for replacement. All other parts were fine, though since I had to buy a new motherboard I figured I would get a new s939 CPU aswell, which means a new graphics card too(required certain features that only PCI-e boards offered), so I ended up with the system in my signature in the end.

Another story has to do with Doom3, My 6800GT(in the same system mentioned above) was having some major heat problems for one reason or another and was reaching over 100C. Once it hit 120C it would restart my computer. While on the phone with BFG the guy he said they only ever managed to get one of their 6800GT's to 92C idle with heatsink off, but whatever. It did recover from its temper tantrum and returned to normal temperatures after a few days, but still strange(still workin hard to this day, though in the hands of a friend of mine. Anyway I have a burn scar on my hand from the heatsink of that card, damn thing.

Comment

While not technically a PC, I modded my own PS2. There was one of the wires, which had to go on the side of a resistor, which was really close to one of those yellow things. The wire wouldn't get a good joint with the resistor, so I kept trying, when suddenly I accidentally hit the yellow thing. A piece broke of.
                    Panic!
                    After a while of posting on forums, I found out that this particular yellow thing just might not be required for the PS2 to work properly. Eventually I did get the wire to hold, but the PS2 still wouldn't work properly. After hours of searching what might have gone wrong, I found that one of the other wires was soldered to thw wrong side of a resistor. Fixed that, and finally it worked. It still works up to today ^^

Comment

Just a few hours ago I upgraded a friend's CPU HSF so he could overclock his CPU more. However, the chipset heatsink was in the way of the massive cooler I had picked up (for a good price). So... I pried the damn thing off the board. To replace it, I had a spare 40mm heatsink that was from my fried Gateway motherboard. Right before I pulled an Office Space on the board, I removed the chipset cooler thinking "you never know... maybe I'll have use for it someday." After I tried to install the HSF, I discovered a capacitor was in the way, and I could really remove that. So I gave up and switched to a smaller heatsink. Now I had the problem of its fan being damaged, which cause the whole motherboard to vibrate loudly. I went to replace that, but I didn't have any screws to put the replacement fan on. Being the resourceful person that I am, I used Scotch tape. I couldn't find any other tape.

That's probably the most enjoyable "mod" I've done, although I am quite pleased with the fact that my two better machines both use CPU air ducts (the best way to do air cooling IMO) made with a dremmel rotary tool (ripping through good acrylic windows in the process), poster board and duct tape (God forbid duct tape be used on a duct).

The next mod I'm considering is a cooling mod for a passively cooled FX5200. I think I'm going put a regular (not low profile, either) 80mm fan right on the heatsink. I'll probably use rubber cement or hot glue to hold it on there. I'm also considering modding the Antec Aria I use for my HTPC to have an intake slot fan in front. Right now, I have a slot fan coming out the optical drive bay and acting as intake for the computer. I have some wadded-up foam from a motherboard package holding it there and stopping vibrations, as well as a twist tie inside the fan itself because the fan vibrates loudly if there isn't something holding the chassis from the fan blades.

Comment

yo yo
                        i also a member of dfi.street.com im "xtremegamer"
                        clik on the link below for my pics of my cold air intakr setup...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31506
                        Stacker830 Watercooled

Comment

sweet setup bf2nut i was thinking once about doin somine like that but i didnt have time and any way i got a whole bunch of fans so its fine right know exept for my graphic card which idels at 53c here are some pics oh and i havent burnt any computer parts yet but i have burnt alot of rc-cars mother boards and moters by over powering them with a higher voltege they just go up in smoke lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

and here are some more
                            Attached Files

Comment

nice zach!
                              dude food for thought,i scored 800 more points in 3dmark 03 when i got my ocz powerstream 520 going to my old 6800ultra , my freind didnt belive me so he got 1 with his x800pro and he got 900 more points ,we both fainted pricey but u can take p\s from pc to pc threw the years.
                              btw i like your pc zach ,what case is that,l33t!! =) beefy comps like yours need rock solid 12 volt rails to the video cards,antec\ocz\pc power brans and comparabe $70+ etc really makes a massive differnce,pc actually boots up faster!.nice thing about the ocz powerstream series is that 12v,3.3v,and 5 volts rails are all adjustable with lil screws in the back of the p\s itself as u tweak them up in the bios u simply turn the screw.again nice pc and what case is that.ty btw for your compliments on mine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817711002
                              Last edited by bf2nut; 04-04-2006, 08:23 PM.
                              Stacker830 Watercooled

Comment

Working...
                              X