Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the blue...

Guys I need some serious help.

I've been recieving lag in some games I play. Like BF2 and warcraft III (when I'm the the middle of the map with all players armies there, beside my friends GFX card doesn't lag there).

I was thinking of replacing my graphics card. What do you guys reccomend?

Here are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3ghz
    Bus Speed - 200mhz
    Motherboard - Gigabyte 8I848P-G
    1024 RAM
    GFX card - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700VE

Oh, by the way, if you need this info on my Motherboard:

GA-8I848P-G is the smart solution for the latest Intel Pentium 4 processor with 800MHz FSB and Hyper-Threading Technology. Powered by the Intel high performance 848P chipset and a variety of cutting edge technologies, GA-8I848P-G is designed to be the full function platform with excellent performance. The architecture of 800MHz FSB, AGP 8x, DDR 400 provides promising framework for excellent performance. This platform features Marvell 8001(GbE) and delivers optimized network throughput and platform performance. The Serial ATA function is integrated to provide superior I/O performance and data protection. GA-8I848P-G will definitely deliver the uppermost platform with unprecedented computing power and rock-solid stability.

Thanks in advance guys!
    Last edited by Soul_Lift; 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM.

Re: In the blue...

Well, I strongly suggest the 6800GS. A good cheaper alternative is the X800GTO2.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

well your computer should play warcraft 3 perfeclty fine but i oculd see it lagging in cs source, you front side bus is onlt 200 which really sucks, i would say save up for a new pc. If your considering gaming go with the amd, amd is reliable and is also cheaper then the intel chips themselves. The speed will match a intel easily for a great deal. I would say if you didnt want to spend to much upgrade to a amd 64 3200 or 3000 it will fix your lagging problems easily. ALso do you ever do spyware checks on your computer and is there alot of stuff in the back if that is so it will slow your computer down alot.

Comment

thanks for enlightening me guys, appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by BURTON88
          you front side bus is onlt 200 which really sucks
          That's a "quad pumped" 200MHz - which equals 800MHz effective - nothing wrong with that

the bigger problems are that the i848 chipset only supports single channel ram - so you are lacking in memory bandwidth & while I am not familiar with your specific video card - suffixes like "VE" or "LE" can often mean that 64bit memory was used in its construction - that would be worth researching on your part
          It's my guess that a new video card - especially one with 256bit memory - would go along way to solving your problem

Comment

Actually my GFX card is a 256mb one. Not a 64mb.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_Lift
              Actually my GFX card is a 256mb one. Not a 64mb.
              64/128/256bit refers to the width of your memory bus - not the amount of video memory

Comment

Yes cards like 6200 with 512mb of ram is utterly useless. They aren't powerful enough to utilize that amount of ram, and the memory bus is different, if your card has 256mb of onboard ram and a 256mb bus, it can ultilize the full 256mb of ram you have. If you have a 512mb on board ram but a 64mb bus like a 6200, you can only use 64mb of the 512mb of onboard ram at a time making that card useless. People get confused with that, no worries. For one thing w3 should not lagg for you, only if your playing super high resolutions it would. Also in bf2, that game is a memory hogger, check your settings, make sure textures are set to medium, and for your video card, I would not play on anything larger than 1024 by 768, and all your settings on low pretty much. You need to get a better video card, a 6800gs would be nice to get as you can get them for about 175, and if you agp which I am assuming you do, they can be unlocked and perform better than a 6800gt and ultra. Also make sure you do have an ago slot or pci e slot, cuz your card might be a pci sloted card only.

Comment

arnt cards like the 512mb 6200 meant to con suckers?

Comment

Originally posted by RemixPinoY
                    if your card has 256mb of onboard ram and a 256mb bus, it can ultilize the full 256mb of ram you have. If you have a 512mb on board ram but a 64mb bus like a 6200, you can only use 64mb of the 512mb of onboard ram at a time making that card useless.
                    interesting - are you saying that unless the width matches the ram, theres no benefit to having more? if thats so, then the gto2 is fully effecient, with 256bit 256mb memory. cool!

Comment

Working...
                    X