GS or GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS or GT?

Im sorry I must be driving you guys crazy, but I am not sure what the difference is between the Geforce 6800 agp 256mb GS or GT.

What is better for p4 3.2 gig 1gig dual channel Ram

I thought about the 7800 but I dont want to spend that much more when they both have 16 pipelines. Besides, I dont think that there are any features in the 7800 that the 6800 doesnt have that would prevent me from playing games in the future.

The main reason Im getting this card is for Oblivion so Im going to try and wait until March so I can get the best price. Thanks for all the help guys. By the way, I've been looking on Ebay. Is this a bad choice?

Re: GS or GT?

also, I have noticed that some are made by BFG and some arent but they all say GeForce, whats going on with that?

Comment

GeForce is the name of the core and the 6800GS AGP card uses faster memory and is much more overclockable than a GT. It also costs less. AND, most of the AGP versions of the GS can be unlocked to 16 pipes like the GT. It just does not make sense to get a GT. Go with the cheapest version you can find. I have the EVGA 6800GS and my cards overclock to 530/1300 on air (425/1000 stock) AND they have a lifetime guarantee against anything except physical damage. How can you beat that?
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
        GeForce is the name of the core and the 6800GS AGP card uses faster memory and is much more overclockable than a GT. It also costs less. AND, most of the AGP versions of the GS can be unlocked to 16 pipes like the GT. It just does not make sense to get a GT. Go with the cheapest version you can find. I have the EVGA 6800GS and my cards overclock to 530/1300 on air (425/1000 stock) AND they have a lifetime guarantee against anything except physical damage. How can you beat that?
        Thats a nice oc on air casecutter.

Comment

Case cutter you rock man. So I will get the 6800 GS AGP. Do you have to do anything to unlock the pipelines? Expect to be hearing from me about overclocking also. I always thought it was bad to overclock your card. My card before my current card was a geforce 2 and it fried itself and my sound card which was next to it. I dont even think I overclocked it. Then again, maybe I did.

Thanks man.

Comment

Well when overclocking for one thing, you need to make sure your card isn't dusty, theres good air flow in your case, and your card isnt overheating. Some cards can't handle much of an overclock at all, while some are great, just depends on what you get. If your an extreme overclocker, expect to swap the stock cooler for a better one. Like artic silencer I think it's called has lower temps, and has a larger fan making it quiter than stock coolers. And EVGA has lifetime so if you fry it you can get another one, and they also have a step up program.

Also to unlock you need a 3rd party program like coolbits, look it up on google.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
              get a 7800gs and overclok it slightly to hang with a 7800gt performance,no 6800 series can come close period.read up closely and what ppl are doing with the 7800gs,s......6800 series were good last year
              Stacker830 Watercooled
              windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
              Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
              8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
              Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
              13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
              (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
              biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
              xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
              sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
              co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
              Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
              Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Originally posted by bf2nut
                get a 7800gs and overclok it slightly to hang with a 7800gt performance,no 6800 series can come close period.read up closely and what ppl are doing with the 7800gs,s......6800 series were good last year
                Well the user in question can't afford anything from the 7800 series. The 6800 series is still great for mid-range and low-end cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                  Well the user in question can't afford anything from the 7800 series. The 6800 series is still great for mid-range and low-end cards.
                  indeed sir,6800gt,ultra are excellent cards,only saying for another $50-$80 get a 7800gs :p heh wait a month(prices dropping like rain now)save the extra money,and grab 7800gs next month?.or be like some of the guys here trying to floor older amazing cards(no doubt),but some ppl in here think even the really good 6800gt\ultra can be maxed out on bf2 above 1280x768,again i had them.i had those both same cards(there good being u have 2gigs ram minumum) then got 7800gt,now 7900gtx.the 7 series is bar far,to futureproof your selfmeans u love it next year too)always grab newest series.6800 was amazing and still is in certain games,res,s.but its also behind 7800\7900(2 generations) series :p

higher the res u run more ram needed,type ram usage in bf2 in google...(2 gigs standerd now)
                  Stacker830 Watercooled
                  Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
                  Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

Hello All,

I was interested in the answers to the original user's post. I am in the same situation having an older motherboard that only supports AGP.

If I might ask a question or two. My Intel motherboard only supports AGP 4x/2x. Will the Geforce 6800GS work with this motherboard? If so, how much performance do you think I will loose since I assume it would drop to 4x? How about the 7800GS ?

If the above graphics cards will not work with my motherboard, could you recommend a *GOOD* 4x AGP video card?

Thank you!

Talon

Comment

Originally posted by Talon00000
                      Hello All,

I was interested in the answers to the original user's post. I am in the same situation having an older motherboard that only supports AGP.

If I might ask a question or two. My Intel motherboard only supports AGP 4x/2x. Will the Geforce 6800GS work with this motherboard? If so, how much performance do you think I will loose since I assume it would drop to 4x? How about the 7800GS ?

If the above graphics cards will not work with my motherboard, could you recommend a *GOOD* 4x AGP video card?

Thank you!

Talon
                      hello,
                      for starters all 8x agp cards will backpedal to 4x or 2x agp no problem at all.another thing u might consider at this point u could ultimatly get a amd64 2800 and new mobo for under $160(some mobos run agp8x and pci..)so u could run current card u have,save up lil bit more money and buy nicer card for same money as higher end agp card but in pci ex version.that equates out to faster transfer rate and more fps!thats just a idea.also you forgot to mention how much money u wanna stay under for a card(ovoisly less)but under $300,$250,$200?what games do u run if any?moniter size and resolution desired?complete computer specs your running now would help me put this together for u better answer,and btw educate yourself on the 7800gs(link below)looks to be nice card overall :p

7800gs looks really good ,and 5,000+ points in 3dmark is sweet.
                      i read the wh0le article(like 17+pages)and the evga 7800gs sc(superclocked)looks like your might be paying more money being they overclocked it for you.u might opt for a lesser clocked stock 7800gs(that is still killer) that u could overclock yourself pretty easy...

read link below

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/..._a_better_buy/
                      Last edited by bf2nut; 03-22-2006, 01:06 PM.
                      Stacker830 Watercooled

Comment

Working...
                      X