Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7800gs or 6800gs for agp

Originally posted by casecutter
    This makes absolutely no sense at all. Why in the world would you build a system like that and then use it that way. Must be nice to have money to toss away. If she only plays solitaire, get a 6200 for this PC and take the 7800GTX back. Just plain a waste.
    No duh. I'd never trade in the GTX because of when I do get to use it occasionally. I want the a7n8xe-deluxe/7800GS as a backup that I can always use. So what kind of power supply does one need for this??

Comment

Maybe 480-500W from a good brand and with really good 12v rail ratings. Hell, you might even want more just because your system has so much running off it.

Comment

The derned thing is choking on a 500W. What is 'rail' ratings?

Comment

6800gs for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by raveolution
            The derned thing is choking on a 500W. What is 'rail' ratings?
            Wattage means nothing without a good brand and good rails.

If you look at a spec chart or sometimes the label of the CPU, you'll see 3.3v, 5v, 12v, etc. and related amperage ratings, e.g. 25a on the 12v. For a video card like this, you'll probably want either a PSU with dual 12v rails (it will be listed as 12v1 and 12v2) or with a single 12v rail of at least 30a.

Comment

hey i wanted to know when unlocking the pipes and testing it with a game and u get no problems then would it be fine with every other game and could unlocking pipes damge your card

Comment

hey i just ordered the 6800gs (2/9/06) and my dad is payin for it im really happy

Comment

I've had the 6600gt error too.
                  It says it isn't receiving enough power ....

In my case this message was misleading since this wasn't the problem.
                  Using riva tuner i could see that everytime the card errored it was way more hotter then during normal game playing. What causes this problem, i still haven't figured out. So what i did was change the 2d clock speeds of my card to something a bit lower then the standaard 3d clockspeeds. That way i almost don't notice the difference and the card seems to cooldown from the extreme hot status

Do keep in mind that doing this you should check if you temparture doesn't keep rising, since you could damage your card permanatly.

This fix comes with no waranty whay so ever.
                  Trying it is on your own risk

Comment

It may be worth noting that its going to be very hard to find an AGP Geforce 6800 GS new from any reliable vendors out there. I've been looking with no luck what-so-ever!
                    8-(

(There gone!)

So its off to ebay I go to find one.

Comment

I've got a used BFG 6800GT OC that is in need of a new owner. And I might actually be willing to surrender an almost new XFX 6800GS. In the case of the 6800GS I have not attempted to unlock the extra pipelines. It is currently serving in a shuttle box that I only use as a print server. So it's very rarely even powered up. I'd use the 6800GT in that system but the 6800GS is much cooler and quieter.

This 6800GS was sent to me just about 3 months ago when a regular 6800 that I had unlocked the pipelines on died. Since they XFX no longer make the plain jane 6800s I got an upgrade.

Also IMHO the 7800GS is simply not worth it. It's much better to buy a PCIe motherboard and mid-range PCIe video card, even if it cost more overall. The reason why I have these spare AGP cards is because that's exactly what I did about 2 months ago. Besides PCIe video cards are allways faster than their AGP counterparts.

Comment

how do you unlock the pipes? would a 6800gs agp running with a athlon xp 1900+ be bootle necked? think it might be worth the upgrade?
                        my view on the two party system...

Comment

There might be a mild bottleneck, but as long as you are running 1280X1024 resolutions or more it would be worthwhile. They are great cards and with that system I just would leave the pipes closed and enjoy it.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate
                          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Well i have a 6800gs and i mounted a artic cooling heatsink on it runs nice and cool. All i have to say is this card is a monster i turn up everything in everygame i have so far. Oblivion puts me on high with 1024*768 res. but runs grate on 1280*1024 with bloom and 2x anti alasing and large textures. Also Half-life 2 ep. 1 was grate with it i put everything on full with res also at 1280*1024.

Comment

Working...
                            X