200 bucks max, what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 bucks max, what would you do?

Ive got 200 max to work with, these are the cards I have seen for 200 OR less on pricewatch. I'm starting to wonder if its going to become pci vs. agp.. any suggestions are appreciated. I have not looked at any ATI cards, as I have had bad luck with them in the past.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>193</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6800 le 128mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$170</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6800 ge 256mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$170</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6800 256mb pci express </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$179</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6600 gt pci express 256mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#f7f7f7><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>$200</TD><TD noWrap align=middle> - </TD><TD noWrap>geforce 6600 gt agp 256mb </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As you can see, the 6600gt agp is a bit more than the pci. Is this a performance issue?

Are one of the 6800 cards better than the 6600GT?

Thanks for your ideas!

Re: 200 bucks max, what would you do?

One thing you should note is that you need a PCI Express port on your mainboard to use a PCI express video card. I've only seen one mainboard that was ever made that could use either a PCI express video card or an AGP video card. I'm guessing yours can only use an AGP card if you have an older mainboard, some cheap mass production mainboards that companies such as HP or Sony, ect use in their low end systems don't even have an AGP port which will severly limit the options to upgrade the video adapter, an old PCI video card might be your only option in that case, which would not even be a practical upgrade for todays graphic intence software.

The 6800 PCI express video card would have a slight edge over the rest that you listed, providing you have the hardware to use it.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 12-21-2005, 01:28 PM.

Comment

i appreciate the input.

my mobo does not have pci-e and agp. its just AGP 8x and pci so I do suppose that takes the express cards out of the equation.

although now, my brother is hinting that he picked up a 64-bit mobo with PCI-E for christmas, so I might just wait.

Comment

WELL ASUS MAKES A MOTHER BOARD THAT CAN USE BOTH PCI EXPRESS AND AGP BUT ITS ONLY FOR SOCKET 478 i think its p4v something but it seems nice

Comment

Wouldn't reconmend it.
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

I would get the 6800 pcie 256mb.

Comment

Thats nice iviuz, i am sure it would work great with his AGP motherboard ^_^.
              CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
              Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
              RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
              GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
              PSU: Thermaltake 500w
              SC: Audigy 2 zs
              LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
              Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
              Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Lol, agp is getting old, time to upgrade, always go something better while you have the chance i say ;)

Comment

And that helps him alot, espicially since he has an AGP mobo.

Comment

If i was him i would buy a mobo instead of g/c, prob cheaper, then he will be set for a beasty card. He should keep the card hes got. In 1 years time he could save a fair bit, more cards come out.

Comment

Originally posted by iviuz
                      If i was him i would buy a mobo instead of g/c, prob cheaper, then he will be set for a beasty card.
                      Not even close to cheaper considering he'd need to get a new CPU and PSU. If he wanted a total system replacement he would have asked for that. There's nothing wrong with upgrading to a mid-range AGP video card.

Comment

True.

Comment

A good 6800 128MB AGP would give you a nice boost and a 6800 GT 256MB AGP card would kick some serious ass, albeit they are still expensive. If you can, get a 6800 over the 6600GT. If the 6600GT is about all you can find in your price range, you will still get a great experience with it.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                          Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                          Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate
                          Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Working...
                          X